Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Michel Faber - The Book of Strange New Things

Tyler   

I found The Book of Strange New Things at the library yesterday. It's about a British pastor who goes on a missionary mission to a planet called Oasis, where a mysterious corporation called USIC (don't know what it stands for yet) has an outpost. I stopped reading the dust jacket once I knew I wanted to read the book, so I don't know much more than that, except that "The Book of Strange New Things" is apparently what the aliens on Oasis call the Bible.

The "God talk" has been well done so far, and the pastor is a good character (e.g. not an intolerant zealot).

I haven't read anything else by Michel Faber, although he did write the novel that Under the Skin was based on. From what I've heard, though, the novel and movie are pretty different.

Joel   

I just finished this. Wow, what a book. Sad and beautiful. One of the best portrayals of Christian faith I've read in contemporary fiction.

Tyler   

Oh, I guess I never posted an update after I finished the book. I'd echo what Joel said, although my experience was soured a bit because a twist I was expecting-- that the wife's letters about their degrading relationship were fabricated a way of manipulating him to stay on the planet --never materialized. Thinking back on it, though, I'm also kind of glad the book didn't push a conspiracy angle; sticking to a more straightforward narrative allowed the emotional side of the story to come through more.

Edited by Tyler

Joel   

Ooh, interesting. I wonder if that made the ending more sad/unsatisfying to you at all?

If you want to hear Faber reading in the voice of an Oasan -- which sounds nothing like how I was rendering their pronunciation in my head, but totally makes sense -- you can listen to this interview.

This was a riveting novel. Thinking of reading some of his others now.

This sounds really good, I have one book in the queue that seems to explore similar themes albeit in a darker novel, Richard Paul Russo's Ship of Fools, about a generation ship, atheist protagonist, but he falls in love with a female priest, and their relationship of faith and doubt (in a dance rather than a war) is one of the central themes in the novel. There is a powerful religious cult that rules the ship etc but the one priest character kinda shows a good humanistic christian faith that the atheist character finds valuable.

Also reminds me of Ray Bradbury's short story The Fire Balloons

Edited by Justin Hanvey