The Nightly Show

NBooth

The first episode of The Nightly Show aired last night. Watching it now. They very smartly avoided replicating the Colbert/Daily Show setup--beyond the opening monologue--in favor of a panel discussion. Someone on Twitter--possibly someone from here?--said that they would love to see the show follow this pattern, and I'm inclined to agree. At this point, I feel like Wilmore functions best in those kinds of settings.

So, more like the Bill Maher show, then?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Atlantic: The Fearless Comedy of The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore

Just two nights into his tenure as a late-night talk show host, Larry Wilmore is doing something people in his position don't often excel at: listening. The occupation traditionally demands a lot of punchlines: a set-up, joke, set-up, joke monologue, a scripted or pre-taped bit, an interview where the anecdotes have been discussed beforehand. Wilmore, who’s stepped into the timeslot vacated by Stephen Colbert, is instead doing something that feels radical by letting other people talk without any punchline. Even more surprisingly, he's doing it without sacrificing the challenging, loose, and funny atmosphere of his new show.

I second everything Ryan H. just said. I almost never watched The Colbert Report, but now my daily ritual of catching up with The Daily Show the morning after it airs has gotten just a little bit longer.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

The Nightly Show has been canceled.

Wilmore, who informed his staff of the network's decision early Monday, didn’t hide his disappointment. "I'm really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity," he says in a statement to THR, leaning on his “Keeping it 100” mantra as he continued: "But I'm also saddened and surprised we won't be covering this crazy election or 'The Unblackening' as we've coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn't counted on 'The Unblackening' happening to my time slot as well."