Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Best Novels of the 21st Century (So Far)

NBooth mentioned this new list, topped by Junot Diaz's The Brief, Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, in our Junot Diaz thread, but I wanted to create this dedicated thread for discussion.

As I mentioned in the other thread, it's nice to see Gilead on the list.

I've also read numbers 2, 5, 7 and 9.

Except for Brief, Wondrous Life (which I listened to on CD and then had to return before finishing) I've not read any of these, though I own a couple (Gilead, Billy Lynn, The Known World, Kavalier and Clay).

I should really do something about that.

(Is it just me, or does this list skew very heavily toward a kinda realest aesthetic? Atonement might have some metafictional play at work--if it's anything like the movie--but other than that one and a couple more [Brief, Wondrous Life, perhaps, and maybe the Chabon novel] there seems to be a definite bias away from experimental novels. Is that true or am I over-reading a list full of books I've not read?)

Is that true or am I over-reading a list full of books I've not read?)

I think I recently came across a Clickhole article that addresses that very question. ;)

Is it just me, or does this list skew very heavily toward a kinda realest aesthetic?

It's not just you.

This list is just as underwhelming as this year's Oscar nominations. Some acceptable choices, but nothing particularly exciting.

Edited by Ryan H.

I've read 2-7.  This is almost exactly what I would expect a list like this to look like, but I don't think it's bad at all and the Ben Fountain book is a bit of a surprise.

It is commonplace now, but it was pretty exciting when Chabon mined the world of comic books back in 2000. Wolf Hall is similar in how it takes on historical fiction.