Sign in to follow this  
GrandPrixGator

Woman In The Dunes

I didnt see any threads concerning this film, so I was wondering if anyone else was blown away by this film?

The way this film just sucks you in and somehow makes you feel the range of emotions the lead male character is feeling was impressive. Im not even sure if he was the lead character or if the sand was.

I also thought the movie was beautifully shot. The way it focused in on the sand, its movement, how it just sticks to you; it made you want to shower afterward.

The film also does have an erotic edge to it that was portrayed in a naturalistic way that flowed with and seemed to belong in the movie. I know so many films seem to have the obligatory sex scene that comes out of nowhere, but this film didnt feel that way at all.

All in all the film made me ponder the sand in my own life and where I might have been lulled into the status quo. This one will stay with me.

Indeed, this is a phenomenal mood piece and highly suggestive as an existential parable. I've been meaning to rewatch it sometime soon, but it's a very unique, unforgettable film.

I watched this a few months back and was equally enchanted by the pacing and the thoughtful, almost trancelike tracking shots in those tight spaces. At times it was puzzling though.

I couldn't tell if I was drawing the right conclusions about the man's profession and his fate at the bottom of this sand pit or not. He is an entymologist, studying minute pockets of nature that occur in bland and simple cycles, and he himself has been trapped in circumstances just as simplistic. When you toss in that erotic edge (erotic for the 60's mind you), I am not quite sure what to make of it.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Midnight Eye has an interesting review.

The purpose behind Woman in the Dunes, which won a Special Jury Prize at Cannes and two Oscar nominations (for Best Director and Best Foreign Film) is not entirely clear. Is Abe's book an allegory of how society, once freed from the burden of merely existing, begins to focus more on the irrelevant minutiae of life? The outsider from the sophisticated big city spends his free time peering at beetles, hoping to dedicate his name to a new species in order to be remembered for posterity. To find himself trapped in an existential void where he must either dig or die represents the ultimate nightmare scenario for a character who has hitherto existed solely thanks to the collaborative efforts of others. Such ideas are never rendered explicitly in either film or novel, posing a lot of tantalising questions for the individual viewer to ponder over.

Methinks I need to see this film again, soon.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook