Sign in to follow this  
NBooth

In Dubious Battle

NBooth   

Sigh.

James Franco has assembled an all-star cast that includes Selena Gomez, Vincent D'Onofrio, Robert Duvall, Ed Harris, Bryan Cranston and Danny McBride for his adaptation of the John Steinbeck novel In Dubious Battle.

[snip]

The novel, published in 1936, is the story of man who tries to organize a strike by fruit pickers in Southern California.

Links to our threads on:

Child of God

The Sound and the Fury

As I Lay Dying

The Broken Tower

American Tabloid

Howl [not Franco-directed]

Franco is hit or miss for me. I love his story choices, but often feel like he doesn't necessarily go with them in the direction I would have.

I'm still waiting for a new adaptation of East of Eden

NBooth   

Ignatiy Vishnevetsky:

James Franco’s death march through the American literary canon continues with In Dubious Battle, a John Steinbeck adaptation so conventionally dismal that it makes one better appreciate the artsy, dawdling garbage that is the actor turned dilettante’s usual stock in trade. Every Franco personal project—from his unintelligible, low-budget adaptations of William Faulkner (As I Lay Dying, The Sound And The Fury) and Cormac McCarthy (Child Of God) to his novels and assorted experiments in self-fellatio—is born with a “Kick Me” sign on its back, begging critics to punt it in the keister for making artistic ambition look lame. This one even comes with a freebie: It’s got “dubious” right there in the title. But instead of being sloppily miscalculated (the “Franco touch”), this attempt at a Depression-era labor drama in the vein of John Sayles just bores its way through almost two hours of screen time, never rising above anonymity.