Spamalot: Python on Broadway

This could either be the next "Producers, and enjoy a long successful run... or the next "Carrie", and close in a week. It's hard to forecast the outcome of this one.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 5 months later...

I don't see much theater, at least not nearly as much as I'd like, but this caught my interest:

Mike Nichols, legendary director of both stage and screen, has signed on to helm Spamelot, a musical adaptation of Monty Python's wacky 1975 cult film Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The project is the brainchild of Python alum Eric Idle, who wrote the book for the musical based on the script he did with fellow Flying Circus members John Cleese, Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam, Terry Jones and the late Graham Chapman.

And according to Idle, the musical's moniker is about as permanent as the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch.

"I like the title Spamelot a lot," Idle said in a press release, "but I was thinking it might be smart to ask audiences on my upcoming U.S. tour if they liked it as much as I do. After all, they are the ones who will be paying Broadway prices to see the show. So there's a good chance the title may change."

Somewhere Rodgers and Hammerstien are rolling over in their graves.

Spamelot will be starring David Hyde Pierce, Tim Curry and Hank Azaria.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Hmmm... People Magazine spelled it Spamalot. Now I'm officially confused...

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

Terry Teachout wrote of this in his Theater column in WSJ back in October. In Chicago now on tryout for Broadway opening in March. I was going to ask for tix for Christmas 'til I found out that the cheapest were over $200!

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• 4 weeks later...

And in a related bit of Python news...

Palin Wants To Bring 'The Life of Brian' to the Stage

Monty Python star Michael Palin is urging theatre bosses to resurrect the comedy collective's controversial film The Life Of Brian on the live stage - following the success of Jerry Springer: The Opera. The biblical satire had religious leaders calling for it to be banned upon its release in 1979, but having witnessed the outrage targeted at the BBC's TV broadcast of Jerry Springer: The Opera - which was littered with expletives and sexual innuendos - Palin is adamant the time is right to spark further fury by launching a stage version of The Life Of Brian. The 61-year-old says, "I don't see why Life Of Brian couldn't come to stage now. That would really get people talking. In fact, we could do it alongside Jerry Springer." BBC bosses received a staggering 47,000 complaints before the British network's adaptation of Jerry Springer: The Opera was even aired, which Palin labels "ridiculous". He adds, "I don't find it offensive at all. The fact that only a few hundred people complained afterwards shows that all the fuss is ridiculous. It sounded to me to be an orchestrated campaign. How can people be offended? Even if someone did a send-up of Michael Palin, I'd probably go and see it."

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 3 months later...

Does it say something about the state of Theater that I recognise many of the nominees by name even though I am unable to follow the New York scene very well?

So The Rivals has two nominations. Is this a revival of the Richard Brinsley Sheridan play that I read and enjoyed in high school? Now, I'd see that if I were there.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

• 3 weeks later...

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

...won the Tony Award for Best Musical.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 1 year later...

Got my medival garb and my can o' spam, and we're heading off to see the travelling production in Cleveland. Woo! Local buzz says the travelling troupe isn't quite as good as Broadway, but it has some wonderful surprises.

Course, we're sitting way back in row BB of the balcony sooooooooo...

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

• 1 year later...

The National Tour came through Seattle last month and so the wife and I attended.

It was very funny and very well done. I was amazed at the amount of elaborate costumes or set pieces used for just a quick gag. If you're a fan of "Holy Grail" or just Python in general you will enjoy it.

There is a wonderful song called "The Song That Goes Like This" and it is a spoof about romatic ballads, that just describes how them, without actually being one. It was brilliant.

From the evening:

1807585080_21d5b16684_o.jpg

Edited by Phantom_of_the_Forum