Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Lucifer

FOX Orders Lucifer Pilot with Underworld Director Len Wiseman Helming

FOX has officially ordered a pilot for the TV adaptation “Luficer,” based on the Vertigo title by Mike Carey. “Sleepy Hollow” co-creator and Underworld director Len Wiseman will helm the project which now has Jerry Bruckheimer joining as an executive producer.

The TV series centers on Lucifer, who, bored and unhappy as the Lord of Hell, resigns his throne and abandons his kingdom for the gorgeous, shimmering insanity of Los Angeles, where he gets his kicks helping the LAPD punish criminals.

Largely inspired by John Milton’s approach to the character in “Paradise Lost,” this version of Lucifer first appeared in Neil Gaiman’s “Sandman” (itself in the process of heading to the big screen). Carey expanded the character into a solo title in 2000. The popular series was published through 2006 and ran 75 issues. . . .

Coming Soon, February 19

Largely inspired by John Milton’s approach to the character in “Paradise Lost,”...

I think they meant to write "Vaguely, just barely inspired by John Milton's approach to the character in 'Paradise Lost'..."

In PL, Satan is unhappy about being consigned to Hell, but his reason for leaving is to turn Earth into more hell. I'm really tired of the whole "Oh, Satan is really the hero of PL" schtick.

Largely inspired by John Milton’s approach to the character in “Paradise Lost,”...

I think they meant to write "Vaguely, just barely inspired by John Milton's approach to the character in 'Paradise Lost'..."

In PL, Satan is unhappy about being consigned to Hell, but his reason for leaving is to turn Earth into more hell. I'm really tired of the whole "Oh, Satan is really the hero of PL" schtick.

Perhaps it would be better for them to say "largely inspired by Romantic readings of Milton's Paradise Lost." Which, since the character first appeared in something by Gaiman, doesn't really surprise me.

On a somewhat related tangent, did anyone see the recent NBC series Constantine? Also based on a comic book series (which I haven't read). There was an unsuccessful movie (with Keanu Reeves?) Flawed hero, using dark powers against demonic foes, etc. Apparently fans of the comics didn't think it was dark enough, but I--having nothing to compare it with--thought it was okay. Thirteen episodes in 2014...season 2 yet to be confirmed.

On a somewhat related tangent, did anyone see the recent NBC series Constantine? Also based on a comic book series (which I haven't read). There was an unsuccessful movie (with Keanu Reeves?) Flawed hero, using dark powers against demonic foes, etc. Apparently fans of the comics didn't think it was dark enough, but I--having nothing to compare it with--thought it was okay. Thirteen episodes in 2014...season 2 yet to be confirmed.

We have a Constantine thread, but the only two posts are from before the show started.

And after three seasons, Lucifer appears to be cancelled, though there's a lively fan campaign to revive it. The final episode synopsis at the link doesn't give away anything significant, such as the fact that Neil Gaiman himself does a bit of voiceover narration for the first and (probably) last time as "God." It's a perfectly good series finale, so IMO there's not much point in a 4th season.

The season narrative arc of season 3 involved a more-or-less immortal Cain, though. That was...interesting.