Sign in to follow this  
Joel

Chrindie 95

Joel   

Various A&F-posting Jasons (M. and P.) and I, among others, are involved in a project called "Chrindie 95" which is a series of essays on classic Christian indie rock albums released in 1995. There were a lot: Sixpence None the Richer's This Beautiful Mess, Starflyer 59's Gold, Luxury's Amazing and Thank You, Jars of Clay's self-titled, and the Prayer Chain's Mercury, to name a few. Feel free to join us on Medium (https://medium.com/chrindie-95) throughout the year.

Also, so help me God, I'm doing a thinkpiece on the 20th anniversary of Jesus Freak for Christianity Today. I will spare you--for now-- my usual rant about how great/important that record is.

Edited by Joel

Joel wrote:
: Also, so help me God, I'm doing a thinkpiece on the 20th anniversary of Jesus Freak for Christianity Today. I will spare you--for now-- my usual rant about how great/important that record is.

Are you going to address the awkward self-consciousness of that album? That was a key theme in my own review of that album for The Ubyssey back in the day.

Joel   

That's the brilliance of it -- for all its bravado, it's a deeply self-conscious (even self-centered?) album about what it means to be an evangelical.

Joel   

Chrindie 95 is still going strong, and I'm immersing myself in the strange world of dc talk for the other piece. I'm doing some interviews with people who worked on Jesus Freak and I'm also putting together a kind of roundtable about the album's 20th anniversary, for which I have so far recruited DL Mayfield, Mallory Ortberg from the Toast, and Danny Seim from Menomena. I'm wondering if there are any other interesting writers/critics/musicians I should try to get. Thoughts?

Edited by Joel

Jesus Freak is coming out on vinyl this November.

Myself, for a long time I've wanted to see an essay pitting Mercury against The Violet Burning's self-titled. They are both the signature albums of the two bands, released a year apart and produced by Steve Hindalong. Actually, Hindalong (and the obvious Charlie Peacock, who is in the midst of moving I believe) might be good? 

Joel   

Yup, I've got Charlie Peacock!

Never actually heard the Violet Burning, believe it or not. I'm amazed at how many fantastic records Hinadlong produced in that era, though...