Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Watership Down

Links to our threads on the 1972 book and the 1978 film.

- - -

BBC Plans To Improve ‘Watership Down’ With CGI

A CGI remake of Watership Down is in the works, Radio Times reported today.

A new script, based on Richard Adams’s 1972 children’s book about the rabbits of Sandleford warren searching for a new home, is in the early stages of development with the BBC. . . .

“People love the 1978 film,” an unnamed source told Radio Times, “but with new CGI technology we can do amazing things–you can see the wind blowing the fur which you didn’t get with the cartoon film.” . . .

Cartoon Brew, March 10

Will CGI help them come up with a stronger adaptation of the literature, and not just the fur? I hope so. But, well... The Hobbit.

“People love Monet's water lilies, but but with new CGI technology we can do amazing things–you can see the lacework on the waterbug wings as well as splashes of bird crap on the lily pads, which you just don't get with Monet's extremely limited watercolors..."

Edited by Overstreet

Every time I think about CGI versions of older cartoons, I think about Peter Jackson's boast that you'd be able to see the pores of Tintin's skin. I could never understand why he thought this was a plus.

Ugh. If this is what it looks like, and if the script is this excited about platitudes... I'm not even sure I'll bother to watch it once.