Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Rogue One

169 posts in this topic

Buckeye Jones wrote:
: I hope they bring back Jimmy Smits.  

You mean, Princess Leia's adopted dad somehow avoided the destruction of Alderaan and has been in hiding all these decades?

Ah, right. Forgot which movie we were talking about for a moment.

In that case, yes, *definitely* bring back Jimmy Smits. After all, these spies are kind of working for the Organas, right?

(And thanks for the reminder that Oscar Isaac is *not* the first Hispanic actor to appear in this franchise!)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Who is that playing Mon Mothma? The last time the character appeared onscreen, she was played by Genevieve O'Reilly in a scene that was ultimately cut:

Wikipedia has O'Reilly playing Mon Mothma in Rogue One, too, and it certainly looks like it--but, then again, it's Wikipedia and there's nothing on her IMDB page yet.

Edited by NBooth

Looks like they're working really hard to make this look chronology-accurate. Those are some messy first-trilogy shots.

Her line about being a rebel is great.  This might be an interesting and complex character.

Also, it looks like it might be a film that adheres to the Star War universe (with the look and feel), but without falling into the trappings found in the Force Awakens.

I'm in.

It seems similar to The Force Awakens in the sense that there are more real-world locations (desert planet, a beach with palm trees) rather than CGI planet environments. But I'm sure the movie will have both. It kind of looks like those AT-ATs are invading Jamaica.

Yep, O'Reilly is reprising her Mon Mothma from ROTS role.

Is Mendohlson a Grand Admiral!? that would be so neat.

i wonder if Whitaker is a Mandalorian, that would also be great...

well, great trailer and i'm certainly excited, definitely star wars feel

also great to see an actual "space samurai" in the franchise that started all that

Edited by Justin Hanvey

I want to know who is in 1:02. Is that supposed to be Tarkin? I've only watched the trailer a couple of times but we still don't see Alan Tudyk or Mads Mikkelson (I think that's Ben Mendelsohn).

I suppose if they do stand-alone films for Han Solo and Boba Fett then this makes Rogue One the natural movie to feature a female protagonist, but it's coming on the heels of Episode VI and Rey.

1 hour ago, winter shaker said:

I want to know who is in 1:02. Is that supposed to be Tarkin? I've only watched the trailer a couple of times but we still don't see Alan Tudyk or Mads Mikkelson (I think that's Ben Mendelsohn).

He's wearing the wrong color uniform. That used to be a uniform reserved for Grand Admirals, but the impression I get is that Star Wars Rebels has changed that.

Tudyck is apparently playing a robot. No idea where Mikkelsen is.

Edited by NBooth

1 hour ago, Justin Hanvey said:

Yep, O'Reilly is reprising her Mon Mothma from ROTS role.

Good. She's dead-on for the part.

Hmmm. And Rogue One takes place roughly 19 years after Revenge of the Sith and is coming out 12.5 years after Revenge of the Sith. If they brought back any *other* actors from Revenge of the Sith, the actors would have aged almost as much as their characters have.

5 hours ago, NBooth said:

Tudyck is apparently playing a robot.

Did you see the fellow at the 1:11 mark.  He's hard to catch.

NBooth wrote:
: Tudyck is apparently playing a robot.

Again?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Five Interesting Thoughts

Two of the theories I found particularly interesting:

1) Perhaps Jan Eyrso is Rey's mother? Rogue One already weaves itself into the OT because of its plot about obtaining the Death Star plans. Could these stand-alone films also tie into the sequel trilogy?

2) The presence of the Imperial Guards. Everyone's been wondering if Darth Vader may appear but as the article points out, the Imperial Guards are Palpatine's bodyguards so may he make an appearance?

1 hour ago, winter shaker said:

1) Perhaps Jan Eyrso is Rey's mother? Rogue One already weaves itself into the OT because of its plot about obtaining the Death Star plans. Could these stand-alone films also tie into the sequel trilogy?

I hope not. For all the grief that fanboys gave Lucas about the "incredible shrinking-universe" of the prequels (e.g. Anakin builds C-3PO, the clone troopers are all Fett clones), they seem hell-bent on out-doing him in their speculation about these new films. After the first trailers for THE FORCE AWAKENS were the ridiculous ideas that Finn would be related to Lando or Mace Windu, now this. If anything, perhaps she's Poe Dameron's mother and Diego Luna plays the love interest. But I'd prefer that this wasn't the case at all. Let the film stand on it's own.

One person I know speculated in the last scene of the trailer means that Jyn may be Mara Jade, but I'm afraid that's just wishful thinking.

I believe the "Rey's mother" theory has already been shot down by the filmmakers, but then, JJ Abrams and company lied and told us Benedict Cumberbatch wasn't playing Khan in Star Trek into Darkness, so you can't trust anything these people say.

I assume there will be *some* foreshadowing and other links to the new sequels in these new prequels. But I'm not going to bother guessing what they are based on a teaser trailer.

Personally, I'm wondering if what we see in the teaser fits with what we saw of the Death Star's construction in Revenge of the Sith.

I've been wondering more about the rebel pilot that the trailer shows with her.  Could that be Biggs (they both have moustaches?)   Or is the timeline not fitting.

I guess the timeline wouldn't have fit.  Biggs would have joined the rebels shortly after the events in this film (at least in connection with the fellow in those shots.)

"Darklighter joined the Rebel Alliance shortly after leaving Tatooine, and was assigned to the Rebel base on Yavin 4. In the meantime, Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, a leader in the Rebel Alliance, successfully brought stolen plans for the Death Star to the Rebel base;"

It depends on whether you consider the Episode IV deleted scenes "canon" or not, I guess.

In those scenes -- and in the comic-book and novelization adaptations of Episode IV -- Biggs says goodbye to Luke on Tatooine and joins the Rebellion *after* Luke witnesses the Star Destroyer attacking Princess Leia's ship, which is clearly *after* Princess Leia received the stolen plans for the Death Star.

So if those scenes are "canon", then there is no way Biggs could be working with the Rebellion during the events of Rogue One.

But if those scenes are *not* "canon", then the Rogue One filmmakers would be free to invent whatever backstory for Biggs they want.

I really like this poster:

qab5ayab8zozyizge6ev.jpg

It looks like the Star Wars franchise just got its own Rocket Raccoon.

I'm getting a strong "Dirty Dozen" vibe. Which is a good thing in my book.