Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Rogue One

Attica   
On 9/17/2016 at 7:34 AM, Ryan H. said:

As far as I understand it, the dominant complaint re: Suicide Squad was not that it was lighter, per se, but that the theatrical cut of the film was a senselessly-mangled mash-up of creative impulses.

IMO Suicide Squad wasn't too "light", so far as that goes.  My biggest complaint is that the middle section started to drone on with basically the same unchanging story, and then started to become garbled when it jump from scene to scene with no apparent rhyme or reason.  I found myself wondering if I had phased out and missed some transitional shots, but then I realize that I hadn't, it just kind of jumped there.  That's almost certainly in part to do with the reshoots.  But it's also almost certainly to do with a lack of editorial control in piecing them together.  Or maybe they just didn't realize that they would need to reshoot any needed transitional shots.

It almost certainly comes from straying from the original script's roadmap.  Surely this film will be able to avoid some of these problems.

Edited by Attica

The most interesting thing about this trailer is that there is an actual space ship battle in, you know, space.

NBooth   

I dunno, there are several shots here that are far superior to what we got in TFA. Visually, at least, this movie looks like it's going to be a treat.

No disagreement, but given the lack of space-ship space battles in TFA and the earlier trailer, not to mention the Star Trek reboot, I was pleased to see it.

Ok, so in keeping with the "allusions to the original trilogy" department, we discover that the protagonist's father is actually the bad guy. Or has that been known all along? It was news to me here.

Nevertheless, that trailer looks really good. Wow! And yes, the actual space battle is a definite bonus.

Edited by morgan1098

NBooth   
1 hour ago, morgan1098 said:

Ok, so in keeping with the "allusions to the original trilogy" department, we discover that the protagonist's father is actually the bad guy. Or has that been known all along? It was news to me here.

I think he's less "bad guy" and more "scientist pressed into service." That's the impression I get from MM's interviews, at least.

That's the Methuselah mountain from Noah in the background of the early shots, right?

The way Darth Vader seems to be walking out of a cloud of smoke/steam, it feels like the trailer has just ruined a Big Reveal from the film.

NBooth wrote:
: I think he's less "bad guy" and more "scientist pressed into service." That's the impression I get from MM's interviews, at least.

That's also the impression I get from the trailer.

9 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

NBooth wrote:
: I think he's less "bad guy" and more "scientist pressed into service." That's the impression I get from MM's interviews, at least.

That's also the impression I get from the trailer.

Oh man! Someone else was in my office geeking out and distracting me and I somehow got distracted and thought the Imperial guy in the white coat was her father. Sorry, my bad. Watching it again now it's obvious.

NBooth   
8 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

It *has* been known for a while, yes, but we don't know *how* he's going to make his entrance. Or at least, we didn't.

It definitely plays like the Big Reveal. I'm not sure how spoiled it is, though, since it's deliberately put together to pack exactly the same kind of punch wherever it shows up--the trailer or the movie itself--by evoking Vader's Big Reveal in ANH.

EDIT: I've watched the trailer a couple of times now and--backstage drama or no--it looks pretty darn cool. The character-work, plotting, and dialogue remain unknown quantities, but the aesthetic is nice--evoking enough of the OT movies while still managing to be its own distinct thing.

Edited by NBooth

I think it looks great - I think it will be better than TFA.

Ben Mendelsohn looks the part of a menacing Imperial officer, but I'm curious if Grand Moff Tarkin will show up at all. Granted, the EU backstory of how Tarkin assembled scientists and developers to build the Death Star has been ditched, but I'd like that bridge between Rogue One and ANH.

NBooth   
8 minutes ago, winter shaker said:

I think it looks great - I think it will be better than TFA.

Ben Mendelsohn looks the part of a menacing Imperial officer, but I'm curious if Grand Moff Tarkin will show up at all. Granted, the EU backstory of how Tarkin assembled scientists and developers to build the Death Star has been ditched, but I'd like that bridge between Rogue One and ANH.

My Chattaway-esque question is whether the movie is going to deal with the fact that we saw the Death Star being assembled--and Tarkin looking on--at the end of ROTS.

NBooth wrote:
: My Chattaway-esque question is whether the movie is going to deal with the fact that we saw the Death Star being assembled--and Tarkin looking on--at the end of ROTS.

That moment at the end of RotS was always problematic, given that ANH wouldn't happen for another 18 or 19 years (and given that the Empire was apparently capable of building a "fully operational" Death Star in just 4 years after the events of ANH). I'm going to assume the Death Star we saw at the end of RotS was just a prototype, one of many perhaps.

Yep likely a prototype as they had plans for a death star for a very long time...

https://www.inverse.com/article/22467-death-star-plans-catalyst-rogue-one-dooku?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=inverse-ent&utm_campaign=organic

Sorry on my phone so can't link normally

There is strong hint in the young adult Ahsoka Tano novel that the Empire needed khyber crystals (the crystals used to make lightsabers) in order to power the death stars beam, so it's plausible they had several prototypes over the years but never could power the beam til they commandeered one of the planets that has extensive pockets of khyber crystals.

Embargo lifted. Here's my cranky report:

A pilot is introduced to get a message to a guerrilla fighter who can’t decide if he’d rather be in Dune or Blue Velvet. The pilot maybe loses his mind and then gains it back and fails to get his message believed, but it doesn’t matter because Jyn finds the guerrilla anyway. Before rescuing the plans, she has to try to rescue her father. (Why, then, was the message that there were plans necessary for the advancement of the story?) There’s a subplot involving another Rebel pilot who is given a secret mission within a mission. This plot ultimately goes nowhere either. Eventually everyone figures out that the imperial plans are someplace else entirely, and they stage the inevitable ground raid that’s ultimately dependent on the inevitable air fight.

NBooth   

Reviews on this thing are all over the place. Here's MZS:

The film adds much-needed shading to the the Rebel Alliance, which has both moderate and "militant" elements that don't trust each other and often work at cross-purposes. The military leadership argues about whether it's better to be aggressive or cautious; the Imperial generals and bureaucrats debate tactics as well, and the question of whether it's better to ask forgiveness or permission comes up more than once. 

George Lucas and his collaborators were always aces at world building even when their storytelling failed, but this is the first entry in the saga that convinces us that its characters live in an actual civilization, with rules and traditions and a sense of history (and a religion) that they measure themselves against. ("The force moves darkly around a creature that's about to kill," one character informs another, anticipating a betrayal.) "Rogue One" also gets into the question of whether it's morally acceptable to surrender or simply give up when you're too tired or broken to fight. Its conclusions are more nuanced than you might expect. The Force may be with you always, but there are times when its weight feels like too much to carry.

How are we marking spoilers these days? What tags?

Edited by Overstreet

*** IF YOU WERE REALLY REALLY SPOILER-HYPER-SENSITIVE YOU WOULDN'T BE READING THIS ANYWAY ***

I really, really don't get the people who say that this is the best Star Wars film since Empire. And not just because Rogue One steals so many of its tropes from Return of the Jedi.

Some of the attempts to build bridges between the original and prequel trilogies fall flat on their faces here. Bail Organa says Obi-Wan "served me well" in the Clone Wars, but, um, was that really how it looked in Episodes II or III? (Maybe it's a reference to the Clone Wars TV series, which I've never watched. The Forest Whitaker character originated in that series.) And the question of who's responsible for the Death Star is left... vague... but in any case, there is no reference here at all to the Geonosians, who were revealed to have designed the Death Star back in Episode II.

"The Empire doesn't consider a small one-man fighter to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense." That was how George Lucas (via General Dodonna) explained the convenient method by which the Rebels were able to destroy the original Death Star. But now it turns out that that wasn't really the reason after all, and the Rebel leaders (presumably including Dodonna) knew it.

Six years after Tron Legacy, Disney still can't get CGI faces right. Oh, wait, they did convincing jobs of de-aging Michael Douglas in Ant-Man and Robert Downey Jr in Captain America: Civil War. Hmmm.

I counted at least eleven characters from the previous films who pop up in this one. I didn't like it when Lucas put Boba Fett in the "special edition" of Episode IV. I'm not inclined to like the constant callbacks here, either.

I felt bad for Mads Mikkelsen during one particularly drawn-out bit of exposition.

The prologue reminds me of the prologue to Noah, and not just because it was shot in Iceland. I could say more, but some might consider what I'd say a spoiler.

It's worth noting, though, that this *is* the first Star Wars movie with a prologue, which is made possible by the fact that it doesn't have the traditional opening crawl.

The title onscreen is "Rogue One", not "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story".

Darth Vader's lair was kind of fascinating, as it was clearly based on one of the earlier scripts for... The Empire Strikes Back. I think?

Darth Vader's helmet was all wrong, though. Didn't look at all like the helmet he had in Episode IV. And I don't recall ever being able to almost-see through its eyes like we could in this one. (The eyes were always supposed to look solid black from the outside. Here it was like a very dark red at times. Possibly a callback to the red data display we saw from Anakin's point of view as the helmet was placed on his face in Episode III? Who knows.)

Even James Earl Jones's voice seemed a little off to me.

Oh, and yeah, our "heroes" are shooting people in the back and mind-raping them now. Go Rebels go!

Oh, one other thing: I wasn't paying all *that* much attention to the trailers for this film when they came out over the last several months, but after the movie was over, I started thinking of various rather-iconic bits from those trailers that simply aren't in the film: Jyn Erso standing on the platform as the TIE fighter looms in front of her, Ben Mendelsohn walking on water, etc. I assume that's all connected to the much-rumoured reshoots etc.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway