Peter T Chattaway

Star Wars: Rogue One

Link to the general thread on Star Wars spin-off movies.

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode IV, Episode V, Episode VI, Episode VII, Episode VIII, Episode IX and the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV-VI on DVD and the 2011 edition of Episodes I-VI on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars, Rebels and the various rumoured other TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie?' (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), 'Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

- - -

‘Star Wars 8′ Gets 2017 Release Date, Spinoff ‘Rogue One’

There are new Star Wars movies coming. Bob Iger just announced two more projects during Disney’s shareholder meeting today: Star Wars 8 will bow May 26, 2017 and be written and directed by Looper‘s Rian Johnson. And the first of the stand-alone spinoff movies based on Star Wars, Star Wars: Rogue One, begins shooting this summer with Felicity Jones officially starring.

Rogue One‘s storyline is by Industrial Light + Magic’s John Knowles and is one of the stand-alone spinoffs Disney and Lucasfilm have indicated will be part of the expanded Star Wars universe. Gareth Edwards is already aboard to direct, and Chris Weitz is handling the rewrite of Gary Whitta’s original script. A December 16, 2016 release date has been set aside. . . .

Deadline.com, March 12

You mean EVERYONE'S GONNA DIE!? Awesome.

(Seriously, you can't just let these people *live* after they beam the plans to Princess Leia's ship. I mean, certainly not after everyone on her ship -- except for Leia and the two droids -- died as a result of receiving those plans.)

NBooth   

You mean EVERYONE'S GONNA DIE!? Awesome.

I'm guessing that's why it's an anthology film? Or does "anthology film" mean something different in this context?

EDIT: Just read THR. Apparently "anthology films" is the uber-special name they're using for the SWCU movies. Except...isn't "anthology film" already a term? Am I just making this up?

Edited by NBooth

Tyler   

Except...isn't "anthology film" already a term? Am I just making this up?

Yeah, it typically refers to something like V/H/S/ or Paris, Je'Taime, where a bunch of short films are stitched together somehow to make a feature-length movie.

Edited by Tyler

NBooth   

Diego Luna?

Variety has the decency not to use the word "anthology" in their write-up. Den of Geek, on the other hand, is treating "anthology" like it's part of the title. Is the movie going to be Star Wars: Rogue One in North America and Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One in other parts of the world?

NBooth   

D23 announcement reveals more of the cast, including Mads Mikkelsen.

And both Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen. When the former's involvement was announced, there was some speculation that they had been up for the same part. I guess not.

Edited by NBooth

Rumors are beginning to surface about Rogue One including more information about Mads Mikkelsen's character and Felicity Jones' 

Spoiler

Mikkelsen is said to be portraying a Robert Oppenheimer like character who takes over the Geonosis Death Star project and after realizing what he has created seeks to defect from the Empire with the help of his daughter Felicity Jones' character.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-characters/

Edited by Justin Hanvey

Can we please put rumors about specific plot details in spoiler text? If that's too much to ask, then I'll just stop visiting threads about upcoming Star Wars films. I really don't want to know much going into these films. There aren't enough surprises left in moviegoing. And besides, there were a bazillion rumors flying around about Force Awakens. I'm glad I ignored them.

Done. :)

Crap I don't see a spoiler option on my phone. I'll just save rumors from now on for when I'm on a computer. 

Ah I can just Hotspot and do that way

Edited by Justin Hanvey

I avoided all the spoilers for Ep VII--I guessed the big one anyway.  But for these spin-offs?  I don't think I care about spoilers.  If I learn that Donnie Yen is a cloned Jedi reject who channels his Force powers into kung fu and must fight against the dark side tendencies to snap off peoples' arms and beat them silly with the appendages, I don't mind.

Oh, and spoiler:  They get the Death Star plans to Princess Leia.  She puts them into Artoo. 

6 hours ago, Buckeye Jones said:

I avoided all the spoilers for Ep VII--I guessed the big one anyway.  But for these spin-offs?  I don't think I care about spoilers.  If I learn that Donnie Yen is a cloned Jedi reject who channels his Force powers into kung fu and must fight against the dark side tendencies to snap off peoples' arms and beat them silly with the appendages, I don't mind.

Oh, and spoiler:  They get the Death Star plans to Princess Leia.  She puts them into Artoo. 

Honestly, if all that stuff actually did happen, I might actually want to see this movie. 

NBooth   

And here I was thinking that Rogue One looked like the EU movie that wouldn't go in for senseless fanservice. Silly me.

We'll find out that Han Solo got boarded and had to dump Jabba's shipment when he decided to serve as a decoy to distract the Empire from what the Rebel spies were doing.

Although, reportedly they're looking for an actor who could play Han Solo when he's about 5 years younger than he was in A New Hope. That would mean Rogue One has to take place about 5 years before Princess Leia actually *got* the Death Star plans, yes? A few possible options here:

-- Because construction on the Death Star had apparently already begun in Revenge of the Sith (and it somehow took a long, long time to finish), Rogue One is about one of the earlier *but unsuccessful* attempts to steal the plans for the battle station.

-- The "young Han Solo" movie will take place about 5 years before A New Hope, but Rogue One won't, so the actor who plays the young Han Solo will be playing a slightly older version of Han Solo in Rogue One (i.e. the Han Solo we saw in A New Hope), and then he will play a version of Han Solo who is closer to his own age in the "young Han Solo" movie. So Rogue One will be a prequel to A New Hope, and the "young Han Solo" movie will be a prequel to *that*.

-- Or... the rumour might be just a rumour.

But still, introducing the "rebooted" version of Han Solo as a minor character in another movie before giving him his own standalone movie does feel a *lot* like casting a newer, younger Spider-Man for Captain America 3 before making the next standalone Spider-Man movie. The Marvel-ization of Star Wars continues...

I love the bit about the costume. There's a featurette somewhere in which the guy who made the costume for Episode III says he used computers and 3D printers to make it perfectly symmetrical, unlike the costume in the original film. I wonder if they've brought the asymmmetry back?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

NBooth   
1 hour ago, Ryan H. said:

Is that really surprising?

Surprising, no. Disappointing, yes. I was harboring a fool's hope that they would keep the fanservice to a minimum.