Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

Ready Player One

Tyler   

I thought Ready Player One was a fairly entertaining novel, mainly as a nostalgia trip, but I never imagined Steven Spielberg directing it.

The novel, published in 2011, is set in a not-too-distant future where advanced Internet, gaming and virtual reality technologies have changed the world as we know it and led to the creation of the Oasis, a virtual reality universe that people live in and value more than the real world.

“We are thrilled to welcome Steven back to Warner Bros. We had an historic series of collaborations in the 80s and 90s and have wanted to bring him back for years,” said Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures. “As for “Ready Player One,” we have always felt that Steven was the dream director for this project.”

The novel also appropriates a bunch of 70s and 80s video games, and I wonder if they'll get the rights to all of them for the movie.

Robert Zemeckis and Christopher Nolan had also been rumored directors.

M. Leary   

Excellent! This adaptation would only work with a really high budget, and I assume that Spielberg would command such resources. I could see all the rights issues being a problem here as there are tons of 80s properties scattered throughout the book.

I thought Ready Player One was a fairly entertaining novel, mainly as a nostalgia trip, but I never imagined Steven Spielberg directing it.

Seems like there are so many announcements of what Spielberg is directing next that all I ever do is imagine him directing things. It'll be good when he actually gets around to directing something. 

Seems like there are so many announcements of what Spielberg is directing next that all I ever do is imagine him directing things. It'll be good when he actually gets around to directing something.

Bridge of Spies comes out this year, doesn't it?

M. Leary wrote:
: I could see all the rights issues being a problem here as there are tons of 80s properties scattered throughout the book.

But if there is anyone who can make the keepers of copyrighted back catalogues open their vaults for the purposes of shared nostalgia, it's Spielberg. (Remember Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, the film that brought Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse together onscreen for the one and only time ever? Spielberg was a producer on that one.)

Comic Con Trailer

So I'm hoping this will be fun, it -looks- a lot of fun, but also it looks badly lighted and not very colorful. Also just perhaps a complete assault on the senses of pop culture icons fighting other pop culture icons. Could just be the trailer is not very well made since it is just for Comic Con.

Felt somewhat Zach Snyder meets Michael Bay for a minute or two. But I'm trying to hold out hope it has good story and plotting and isn't just cgi assault since it's Spielberg. Don't flop this Spielberg, please

Anders   

My friend who is a published science fiction writer hated the novel. I saw some excerpts floating around on Twitter the other day, and if they're accurate, I can imagine why. The worst kind of pop nostalgia pandering. I love Spielberg, but I can't work up any enthusiasm for this. Probably because I also despise gamer culture.

If this is a big pop-culture mash-up, I wonder if in some ways it might be comparable to Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, which Spielberg produced. (Spielberg was instrumental in sweet-talking Warner Brothers and other companies into letting their animated characters appear in a Disney movie.)

Someone on Twitter quipped that Warner Brothers had no idea how to market The Iron Giant when it came out 18 years ago, so it seems a little odd that they're now basing *another* film's marketing campaign, in part, on imagery from that film.

Well, that certainly looks headache inducing.  Sort of Speed Racer meets Transformers meets World of Warcraft to equal a Tron knockoff.  No thanks.

Now see, I loved the novel, but I'm also a full on nerd...who thankfully never got pulled into 4chan/gamergate gamer culture that became part of the Internet conception of gamers. I love the 80's references, and stuff that I loved as a kid, as well as some of the other things that I love more now as an adult. That said my love for the novel, and the portrayal of some characters has mellowed over the years, and Cline's second novel is just really not that good, instead just a rehash of Ready Player One 80's culture references with plot from Last Starfighter/Enders Game and far less interesting characters. Not a fan.

It's kind of that thing where you love a thing before thinking about it too much and then you read a lot of valid criticism of it, and you almost feel a little bitter...but know they're right. You kinda want to rebel and still love it a little. And I do. It's a good story. Not as great as I once thought, but not terrible either. IMO

Edited by Justin Hanvey