Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Christopher Robin

Links to our threads on the previous Disney productions The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977), which collects three short films produced between 1966 and 1974, and Winnie the Pooh (2011).

Links to our threads on the related films Finding Winnie (in development) and Goodbye Christopher Robin (in development).

Links to our Disney-live-action-films-based-on-animated-films threads on Enchanted (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice through the Looking Glass (2016), Pete's Dragon (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Aladdin (in development), The Chronicles of Prydain (in development), Cruella (in development), Dumbo (in development), Enchanted 2 (in development), The Jungle Book 2 (in development), Genies (in development), The Lion King (in development), The Little Mermaid (in development), Maleficent 2 (in development), Mulan (in development), Night on Bald Mountain (in development), Peter Pan (in development), Pinocchio (in development), Prince Charming (in development), Snow White (in development), The Sword in the Stone (in development) and Tink (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

- - -

Disney Sets Live Action ‘Winnie The Pooh’ Film; Alex Ross Perry To Write
EXCLUSIVE: Disney has set a live action feature adaptation of the animated classic Winnie The Pooh. This is the latest example of the studio re-purposing properties it controls, and it’s also the second time they’ve brought in a cutting edge independent filmmaker to shape the vision. Disney has hired Alex Ross Perry, the writer/director of the Sundance indie Listen Up Philip. The focus will be Christopher Robin as an adult, which brings him back to A.A. Milne’s famous bear and the Hundred Acre Wood. . . .
Deadline.com, April 2

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wow, that clip is weird.

But seriously, why on earth are they doing this??!  I mean, Alex Ross Perry is certainly an interesting left-field choice for any Disney movie, but how could you possibly make a live-action version of Winnie-the-Pooh that captures anything like the spirit of the original book or the original film?  Are they planning on something like Where the Wild Things Are, or what?  Is it going to follow Christopher Robin as he interacts with CGI characters?  How hideous does that sound?  Beauty and the Beast was already going too far, but at least it's possible to make something great with that material.  Dumbo is a stupid idea, but Tim Burton could just maybe pull something off.  This just seems wrong on every level.  (The Jungle Book and Mulan are the only live-action remakes Disney has going that seem to me to have any potential to be good, but I'm not counting on it.)

Perry (or is it Ross Perry?) says he's looking at A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Fantastic Mr Fox, Toy Story, Regarding Henry and Holiday for inspiration.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Marc Forster to Direct Live-Action Movie About Winnie the Pooh's Pal, 'Christopher Robin' (Exclusive)
The story centers on Robin, the adult version of the boy who in the A.A. Milne books shares his adventures with the animals of the Hundred Acre Wood. Robin has grown out of the joyful imagination he had as a young boy and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his wife and daughter. With his home life on the brink, the last thing his life needs is the return of Pooh, who needs his help in finding his friends again. Robin has to find a way to help both sides or risk losing everything he holds dear.
The project is described as having strong elements of magical realism as it seeks to tell an emotional journey that is combined with a heartwarming adventure. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, November 18

- - -

Links to our threads on Marc Forster's other films Monster's Ball (2001), Finding Neverland (2004), Stay (2005), Stranger Than Fiction (2006), The Kite Runner (2007), Quantum of Solace (2008), Machine Gun Preacher (2011), World War Z (2013), Hand of God (2014-2015) and The Downslope (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on Loungers (1995), Everything Put Together (2000) or All I See Is You (2016).

5 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Marc Forster to Direct Live-Action Movie About Winnie the Pooh's Pal, 'Christopher Robin' (Exclusive)
The story centers on Robin, the adult version of the boy who in the A.A. Milne books shares his adventures with the animals of the Hundred Acre Wood. Robin has grown out of the joyful imagination he had as a young boy and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his wife and daughter. With his home life on the brink, the last thing his life needs is the return of Pooh, who needs his help in finding his friends again. Robin has to find a way to help both sides or risk losing everything he holds dear.
The project is described as having strong elements of magical realism as it seeks to tell an emotional journey that is combined with a heartwarming adventure. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, November 18

Is it just me, or have I already seen this movie?  Why, yes!  Yes I have!  .~

HOOK

The story centers on Peter, the adult version of the boy who in the J.M. Barrie books shares his adventures with the Darlings, and the Lost Boys of Neverland. Peter has grown out of the joyful imagination he had as a young boy and is now a businessman who prioritizes work over his wife and children. With his home life on the brink, the last thing his life needs is the return of Tinkerbell, who needs his help in defeating Capt. Hook again. Peter has to find a way to help both sides or risk losing everything he holds dear.

Edited by John Drew

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude