Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Disney's live-action Pinocchio movie

Links to our threads on Disney's Pinocchio (1940), Guillermo Del Toro's Pinocchio (in development), Robert Downey Jr.'s Pinocchio (in development) and Shawn Levy's The Three Misfortunes of Geppetto (in development).

Links to our threads on Enchanted (2007), Enchanted 2 (in development), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice in Wonderland: Through the Looking Glass (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Cruella (in development), Dumbo (in development), Mulan (in development) and Winnie the Pooh (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

- - -

‘Pinocchio’-Inspired Live-Action Film Being Developed At Disney
EXCLUSIVE: Yet another live-action version of a tried-and-true Disney fairy tale is wending its way to the big screen. Peter Hedges is penning a feature loosely based on the original Pinocchio story about a boy carved from wood who dreams of becoming a real child. The boy gets his wish but is prone to stretching the truth, and each time he does, his nose grows longer. The story is really about the relationship between a father and son, the ramifications of lying and creating stories and living in a fantasy world. . . .
Deadline.com, April 8

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

To be fair, the book of Pinocchio by Carlo Collodi, is a strange, beautiful thing which has all sorts of stuff and tones and themes that don't make it into the Disney version.  Someone really ought to make another great movie out of it.

BUT TO MAKE A LIVE-ACTION REMAKE OF DISNEY'S 1941 PINOCCHIO!  Are they insane?  Are they evil?  I just don't know anymore.  Disney are now cannibalizing their own sacred First Five Features, and even the one most animation buffs/critics/historians consider the greatest animated film of all time (I prefer Bambi).  It just feels wrong.

I'm probably being too dramatic.  I guess they colorized It's a Wonderful Life, and they already made a sequel to Bambi, and yet the originals still stand alone as the ones everyone remembers.  The great art lasts, the trash is forgotten.  -Sigh-  I'll calm down.

StephenM wrote:

: . . . they already made a sequel to Bambi . . .

Only if you count the stuff produced by Disney's straight-to-video division. The only animated sequels produced by Disney's main feature animation unit are The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000 and Winnie the Pooh.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Well, yeah.  My "they" in that sentence was pretty vague.  Disney weren't the ones colorizing It's a Wonderful Life, either.  It was more a general lament for "corporate moneygrubbing ruining the classics."