Thread Links:

Infamous

Capote

Thread titled "Alexander vs Capote vs Murrow vs Cash"

Thread on true-life novels, where In Cold Blood is mentioned

Deadline:‘In Cold Blood’ Getting TV Event Series Treatment In Weinstein Co Deal.

In this incarnation, Gary Oldman and Douglas Urbanski’s Flying Studios (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) will produce the project, with Becoming Jane scribe Kevin Hood attached to write. The Weinsteins’ SVP Scripted TV Marc Velez, VP Scripted TV Megan Spanjian and Creative Executive Lauren O’Connor will oversee the project for TWC, whose TV division is in the works to be sold off to ITV in a deal worth a reported $950M+.

“Truman Capote’s In Cold Blood has been riveting audiences since it first hit the literary scene almost 50 years ago, and it continues to have that same thrilling, timeless appeal today,” Harvey Weinstein said in the announcement today. “We are extremely excited to be partnering with Gary, Doug and the whole Flying Studios team to bring what’s sure to be an unbelievable series to TV viewers.”

Given the popularity--or, at least, success--of True Detective, as well as that of podcasts like Serial, this move makes sense. And In Cold Blood--which I listened to on my drive from Indianapolis a few weeks back--does seem to lend itself to this sort of event television.

FWIW, this will be the third adaptation of In Cold Blood and the second for television. The first, from 1996, featured Eric Roberts as Perry Smith; Robert Blake played Smith in the 1967 movie.
Edited by NBooth

• 3 weeks later...

I posted a this over in out True-Life Novel thread, mainly because I forgot this one existed. But it would probably work as well or better here:

LARB: Queer Blood by Ned Stuckey-French

In Cold Blood is a queer book. It is other things, of course: an account of the hollowness of the American Dream, a classic of true crime, and, a true genre-buster, arguably, the first “nonfiction novel.” But, finally, it’s a book by a gay man about a gay man. Returning to it recently for the first time in years, this being the 50th anniversary of its publication (to all kinds of controversy and acclaim), I was struck most of all by its gayness. In Cold Blood is about Perry Smith and Dick Hickock and what went wrong between them, or at least that’s the reading I’m giving it here. Rereading In Cold Blood from this perspective can, I think, teach us a lot about who we are now and how we continue to think about marriage equality, gender roles, homosexual panic, homophobia, the association of homosexuality with pedophilia, sexual behavior in prisons and the military, and the ways in which homosexuality intersects with race and class.