Nathan Douglas

Small/Regional Film Festivals - U.S.

I just finished a new short and am preparing to wade back into the circus of submitting to festivals. I'll be targeting a few of the big ones but with this film I really want to focus on finding some of the better "small" festivals  in the U.S. (I have a good handle on the Canadian and European side of things). I'm thinking of festivals that are in smaller communities and more interested in connecting filmmakers with attendees / with a specific local film culture, and less interested in prestige.

Any suggestions? What do you think are the hidden gems of the American heartland?

Edited by Nathan Douglas

Darren H   

Congrats on finishing the film, Nathan.

The Maryland Film Festival and the Sidewalk Film Festival in Birmingham, AL come up every time I talk about this subject with filmmakers. Both are relatively short (3-5 days), they're well-curated, and they put a strong emphasis on creating a community vibe. For slightly larger fests, Sarasota and Wisconsin also have very strong reputations. Unfortunately, most of the fests that meet this description are in the spring, so you might have to wait another year for that part of the festival calendar.

Attica   

Nathan.  Are you aware of the relatively new FilmFreeway?

https://filmfreeway.com/

How is everything going so far with your submissions?

I'm on the verge of finishing a short as well. Albeit it's not a Christian short, but a 19 min comedy short. Are there any niche Comedy genre festivals anyone knows about??

Congrats, liberty. I don't know much about the comedy fests, but you tend to see a fair amount of such listings on Film Freeway and Withoutabox. Best to set aside an evening and look at them in detail, as I bet more than a few of them are rip-offs.

As for my film... a lot happened! Things picked up in the fall and the film had a modest but pleasant run - about 2 regional festivals a month from September to December. Then in December it got selected for competition at Clermont-Ferrand (in February), and that was a whole new experience. Thanks to that, interest in the film has remained pretty steady even a year after its premiere; it's set for a few more festivals this summer and fall.

All told, I'm very pleased with its run, but my attention is now on my new short "Cave of Sighs," which has just been completed. Back to the starting line...

Attica   

There are tonnes of Comedy genre film festivals out there.  Including with short film.  I've found that they can be hard to get into unless you have a film that is full out funny.  Most films (like mine) have amusing aspects but are not comedy orientated enough to qualify for what many comedy film festivals are looking for.  

On June 3, 2016 at 6:49 PM, Nathan Douglas said:

As for my film... a lot happened! Things picked up in the fall and the film had a modest but pleasant run - about 2 regional festivals a month from September to December. Then in December it got selected for competition at Clermont-Ferrand (in February), and that was a whole new experience. Thanks to that, interest in the film has remained pretty steady even a year after its premiere; it's set for a few more festivals this summer and fall.

Good news.