Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Star Trek: The Original Series

I love time-travel stories too, but it's the "redundancy" factor that gives me pause. Approximately half of that set would consist of episodes that I already have, if I got the other "fan collective" sets as well.

Then again, they're selling it for somewhere between CDN$30 and CDN$33, which is about the cost of two movies, so even if there are only seven unique episodes on that set, that still wouldn't be too bad a price.

Yeah, no 'Blood Oath' is a real problem. I also wouldn't mind 'Flashback', since it's the VOY episode that takes us back to Captain Sulu's ship during the events of ST6:TUC.

Actually, come to think of it, what I would REALLY like is a set that gives us all the appearances of TOS characters in the subsequent shows (McCoy in TNG's 'Encounter at Farpoint', Sarek in TNG's 'Sarek', Spock in TNG's 'Unification parts 1 and 2', Scotty in TNG's 'Relics', the three Klingons in DS9's 'Blood Oath', Sulu and Rand in VOY's 'Flashback', and of course the entire cast in DS9's 'Trials and Tribble-ations' -- have I left anybody out? -- of course, if we include the TNG movies, ST:G featured Kirk and Scotty and Chekov, and ST:FC featured Zefram Cochrane, although he was played by a different actor).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

FWIW, re: the Borg set, I am increasingly cozy with the idea of getting this set, primarily because Star Trek: First Contact (1996) was easily my favorite of the TNG movies, and it seems to me that this set complements that movie rather well. Consider the episodes included here:

Regeneration (Enterprise 049)

This, I believe, is the only Borg episode from ENT, and I believe it concerns the Borg who came back in time in ST:FC and are now trying to make contact with their comrades on the other side of the galaxy. So it's kind of a sequel to the movie.

Q Who? (TNG 142) -- also covered in the Q set

The Best of Both Worlds pts 1 and 2 (TNG 174-175)

I Borg (TNG 223)

Descent pts 1 and 2 (TNG 252-253)

These, I believe, are all the Borg episodes from TNG (and I believe there were no Borg episodes at all from DS9), so these episodes would represent everything we knew about the Borg prior to ST:FC.

Scorpion pts 1 and 2 (Voyager 168-169)

Drone (Voyager 196)

These are the only episodes that have nothing to do with ST:FC, either as set-up or follow-up, though I gather 'Scorpion' is the two-parter that introduced the Seven of Nine character.

Dark Frontier (Voyager 824)

Unimatrix Zero parts 1 and 2 (Voyager 246-247)

Endgame (Voyager 828)

These, I believe, are all the VOY episodes that feature the Borg Queen, a character who was introduced in ST:FC. So these, too, may be sequels of sorts.

So, if it has all the pre-ST:FC Borg episodes, period, and all the post-ST:FC episodes that feature the Borg Queen or other "characters" introduced specifically in that movie, then this set, too, would satisfy my completist impulses, I think.

For whatever that's worth.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The first season of Star Trek TOS is now available on iTunes with the new enhanced special effects. If you want to compare the difference without buying anything, you can watch the beginning of your personal copy (before the titles) of "Space Seed" and then watch the preview of "Space Seed" on iTunes.

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Brilliant, thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

I've heard that some things in the revised episodes may be inappropriate for Canadians. Rated PG-C.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Star Trek Exclusive to HD DVD

On November 20, 2007, CBS Home Entertainment and Toshiba will team up to release Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 exclusively on HD DVD/DVD Combo format. . . . To coincide with the announcement, here's another interesting tidbit directly from the press release: "To support this historic launch, Toshiba has teamed up with CBS Home Entertainment, with plans to offer purchasers of the boxed set and any Toshiba HD DVD player an exclusive, limited edition Star Trek Phaser remote control that will operate Toshiba's HD DVD players. This promotion is planned to coincide with the launch of the Star Trek HD DVD boxed set."

IGN.com, September 7

Star Trek Exclusive to HD DVD

"To support this historic launch, Toshiba has teamed up with CBS Home Entertainment, with plans to offer purchasers of the boxed set and any Toshiba HD DVD player an exclusive, limited edition Star Trek Phaser remote control that will operate Toshiba's HD DVD players.

Wow... They'll do anything to keep their failing format afloat! First, $150 bribes to content producers and now, passing out "working" phasers to Trekkers who buy the HD DVD format.

But why would Trekkers want to "stun" or "kill" their HD DVD player?

Edited by TexasWill

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

The enhanced-effects version of The Menagerie (the two-part TOS episode that includes footage from the original pilot with Captain Pike) comes to the big screen on November 13, one week before the HD-DVD set with that episode comes out.

Looking ahead for ways to blow whatever Christmas money may come my way, and I'm feeling drawn to pick up The Next Generation on DVD. But how?

I don't think I'll be able to afford getting all of the seasons at once, though I've heard that if you do, this older set:

51NBPNY0G5L._AA240_.jpg

is better than this newer set:

51RqyFTvrML._AA240_.jpg

Is the older set just all seven of these bunched together?:

41MD7MX4X8L._AA240_.jpg

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

CrimsonLine wrote:

: Is the older set just all seven of these bunched together?:

Sure looks like it. Why is the new set not supposed to be as good as the old set? Surely the transfers can't be worse -- and it looks like the new set would take up less space on the shelf, too.

On amazon, I read review after review saying that the plastic case is chintzy and breaks easily, and that there is NO printed material to help you identify which disk you'll find which episode on, so you have to read the small print titles on each disk individually.

Are the transfers bad on the original release?

CrimsonLine wrote:

: Are the transfers bad on the original release?

I've never checked out the ST:TNG discs, per se, but I gather that the video files created for those discs were used in the recent "Fan Collective" sets (the ones grouped around themes like Q, Borg, Time Travel, etc.), and the episodes from ST:TNG and ST:DS9 were a tad sub-par in the transfer department, I thought.

I'm going to post this in the TOS TV thread, even though it's a question that spans the TOS movies, as well. I was reading an interview with DeForest Kelley today, which was accompanied by some stills from STIII, and I thought - wow, The Search for Spock was really a high water mark for the McCoy character. And it got me wondering, what is the "best of" Star Trek for each of the major characters from TOS.

Here's just a stab at it. Off the top of my head...

Kirk - The City on the Edge of Forever, The Wrath of Khan

Spock - Amok Time, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan

McCoy - The Search for Spock

Scotty - TNG Relics

Sulu - The Naked Now, Mirror Mirror

Uhura - Plato's Stepchildren, The Search for Spock

Chekov - The Apple, The Voyage Home

Get ready for the 'Alternate Realities' Fan Collective set! Apparently this set has SOME of the Mirror Universe episodes (from TOS, DS9 and ENT), but not quite ALL of them (what, there were even MORE on DS9?).

Interestingly, the Mirror Universe episodes appear to be included in production order, rather than chronological order. This is a difference from at least one of the earlier sets, i.e. the Borg set, which began with the Borg episode of ENT before progressing through the relevant TNG and VOY episodes.

Couldn't think of a better place to post this...

Ladies and Gentlemen, William Shatner singing Rocketman at the 1978 Science Fiction Film Awards...

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Okay, so this is the greatest object of geekdom, ever.

dstcaptchair.jpg

From TrekMovie.com:

Since we first reported from the Las Vegas Star Trek convention that CBS announced that Diamond Select was making a life-sized Original Series captain

Majel Barrett Roddenberry has died.

To many of those fans, Majel Roddenberry was known as the "First Lady of Star Trek." She had roles in many of the Trek productions, starting with the part of "Number One" in the original series' pilot, "The Cage," which never aired. Her other roles included Nurse Christine Chapel in the original Star Trek, Lwaxana Troi in Star Trek: The Next Generation and the voice of the USS Enterprise computer in most of the spin-offs of the series.

"The Cage" did air, of course, in altered form as flashbacks in "The Menagerie."

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

One more Turkish recreation for you, Peter. This is from a series of Turkish TV specials and films called Omer the Tourist. In this episode, the original Star Trek episode The Man Trap is slavishly remade, with the addition of the Omer character.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7185067049150068960&hl=en#

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Apparently the Blu-Ray edition of the third and final season of the original series will include the first-ever home-video release of the "extended" version of the series pilot episode 'Where No Man Has Gone Before':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xe5SUxq25I

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WILLIAM SHATNER! He turns 80 today. Here is how the Star Trek make-up artists thought an old Shatner/Kirk would look when they made the episode 'The Deadly Years' back in 1967, when Shatner was 36 (the other picture, from Wikipedia, was reportedly taken in 2005, when The Shat would have been about 74):

James_Kirk_prematurely_aged.jpg William_Shatner.jpg

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEONARD NIMOY! He turns 80 on Saturday. Click here for an old (and heavily illustrated) blog post of mine on how Spock has aged over the years, as played by Nimoy and a bunch of other actors (including, yes, a rapid-aged Spock from 'The Deadly Years').

Ooooops. Apparently, this image....

star-trek.jpg?w=450&h=281

... was used as the insignia of the Navy SEAL's Team Six, on a German broadcast news report about the raid on Osama bin Laden.

Here's the actual insignia...

team-6.jpg?w=309&h=310

Full story here.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

389422_135318163245621_100003023135570_164203_616373870_n.jpg

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Devin Faraci at BadAssDigest counts down the 10 Best Moments in STAR TREK History, or at least featuring the original crew. Hard to quibble with any of them.

I'll just place it here, since it's for Shatner's birthday. Hulu is streaming all the series' til the end of March for free in honor of Shatner's birthday.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story