Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Mission: Impossible: Fallout

Managed to catch Fallout on the bigscreen. I remembered liking the previous movie more than my comments in that thread suggest, and this movie didn't really live up to that memory. Specifically, unlike Rogue NationFallout doesn't really have any especially memorable sequences (there's the jump, which is really good, but it doesn't stick in the mind like the concert scene in the previous movie). And Fallout relies far too much on chase sequences, which would be fine if they weren't so repetitive. But they are; there's really nothing distinguishing them from one another.

Still, there were some thrilling sequences and it was difficult not to laugh at several points , which I think was the purpose of the whole thing; Ryan has commented elsewhere on how bland the soundtrack is, and he's correct. The movie is very funny and the soundtrack, somehow, doesn't realize that fact.

Incidentally, this weekend Fallout became the top-grossing Mission: Impossible film in North America, beating the record set 18 years ago by Mission: Impossible 2 (the John Woo movie). But of course, there has been 18 years of inflation since then.

Meanwhile, this is also easily Tom Cruise's highest-grossing film overseas and worldwide, ever. (In North America, it still lags behind War of the Worlds.) I don't know how to factor inflation into that when one considers all the various currencies that would have to be converted from all the different time periods.