Peter T Chattaway

Starman

{TB EXCLUSIVE} Remake Of Classic Sci-Fi Romance “Starman” In The Works From Sony

Sony Pictures is developing a remake of the 1984 sci-fi/romance STARMAN. Sources confirm that the studio is taking the remake in a new direction, more in line tonally with the hit teen drama The Fault In Our Stars. Adam North will oversee development for the studio, while Michael Douglas, who produced the original, will produce under his Further Films banner.

The Tracking Board, June 4

So this will be, what?  The fifth John Carpenter movie to be remade?    Including Big Trouble In Little China.

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) -- which was itself a remake of Rio Bravo (1959) -- was remade in 2005.

Halloween (1978) was remade in 2007.

The Fog (1980) was remade in 2005.

The Thing (1982) -- which was itself a remake of The Thing from Another World (1951) -- had a prequel in 2011 that many people mistook for a remake because it, too, was called The Thing.

And there have been various attempts in recent years to make new versions of Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China and, now, Starman.

Side note: John Carpenter's Village of the Damned (1995) was itself a remake of the 1960 film of that name.

I wasn't aware of Assault on Precinct 13.  

'Starman' Remake In the Works With Director Shawn Levy (Exclusive)
Levy, the helmer behind the Night at the Museum movies as well as Real Steel, has signed on to direct and produce Starman, Columbia Pictures’ remake of the 1980s sci-fi romance that starred Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen. Michael Douglas, who produced the original, will produce with Levy.
Arash Amel, best known for writing the Nicole Kidman drama Grace of Monaco, is writing the script for the project.
Hollywood Reporter, April 1

The original Starman is such a quirky little allegory, and a great early performance by Jeff Bridges. It was E.T. for grownups, I guess. I feel kind of protective of it and dubious about a remake.

On 4/8/2016 at 11:58 AM, BethR said:

The original Starman is such a quirky little allegory, and a great early performance by Jeff Bridges. It was E.T. for grownups, I guess. I feel kind of protective of it and dubious about a remake.

Starman is a good choice for Valentines Day. Ladies like Bridges. Karen Allen is gorgeous. Has plenty of romance and explosions with aliens. And a road trip theme for honeymooners.  Not overly cerebral/somber like Arrival was. From the maker of Halloween but not so scary, only rated PG. A crowd pleaser for V-day.