Wilco - Star Wars

Tyler

This tops the list of Best Surprising Album Arrivals for its imaginative audacity. It's such a simple idea, it's amazing nobody's tried it before — this thing is going to hashtag the bejeezus out of the Internets this weekend. It's already inspired posts with pictures of Star Wars characters listening to it. These guys are getting funnier as they get older, but the better news is that the record sounds fantastic. I like it a lot.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

This tops the list of Best Surprising Album Arrivals for its imaginative audacity. It's such a simple idea, it's amazing nobody's tried it before — this thing is going to hashtag the bejeezus out of the Internets this weekend. It's already inspired posts with pictures of Star Wars characters listening to it. These guys are getting funnier as they get older, but the better news is that the record sounds fantastic. I like it a lot.

Absolutely. Wilco went from one of my favorite bands (about 15 years ago) to a band that I forgot had released albums. Star Wars is so messy, loose, and fun. I'm loving it, and it's made me pay attention to them again.

Edited by Jason Panella

Absolutely. Wilco went from one of my favorite bands (about 15 years ago) to a band that I forgot had released albums. Star Wars is so messy, loose, and fun. I'm loving it, and it's made me pay attention to them again.

Agreed. I bought Being There when it first came out and I was still in my 20s, so I feel pretty deeply invested in the band. But their past few albums have been quite forgettable and boring - which is criminal, seeing that their lineup for the past 8 years is in point of fact one of the best live bands on the planet with one of the few bonafide modern guitar heroes at the helm. Not sure if the songs are so great, but my first impression is that it all feels like a much -welcomed jolt of ramshackle garage noise.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

• 2 weeks later...

A number of close listens has revealed this album to be a lot more than a throwaway. Some of the songs that I initially ignored are becoming favorites.

I also noticed something else that, at least to me, is interesting. I was casually watching a professionally shot video of Wilco's set at the recent Pitchfork festival a week or two ago, when the band played the album in its entirety. All tracks featured the three-axe Cline/Tweedy/Sansone lineup. Is Star Wars first album where Sansone just plays guitar? 

Edited by Jason Panella

• 3 weeks later...

I really love this recording. I haven't been a close follower of Wilco over the years, but I have liked the bit that I've heard here and there. I have a great cover of "How to Fight Loneliness" that my friend and I play at least once a week - one of our favorites to play live.

What really surprises me when listening to Star Wars is how often the lead singer reminds me of Thurston Moore. Sometimes I think this is what Sonic Youth might sound like if they kept things in standard tuning and had an alt-country background. Is that a strange observation? Is that comparison true to past Wilco recordings?

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Has anyone come across any thought-provoking interpretations of the lyrics on this record? I find them to be even more cryptic than usual. Which isn't a bad thing — it just means I'll be wrestling with them every time I listen, perhaps to no avail.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.