Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Sword in the Stone

Links to our threads on Enchanted (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice through the Looking Glass (2016), Pete's Dragon (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Mulan (2018), Dumbo (2019), Aladdin (2019), The Lion King (2019), The Chronicles of Prydain (in development), Cruella (in development), Enchanted 2 (in development), The Jungle Book 2 (in development), Genies (in development), The Little Mermaid (in development), Maleficent 2 (in development), Night on Bald Mountain (in development), Peter Pan (in development), Pinocchio (in development), Prince Charming (in development), Snow White (in development), Tink (in development) and Winnie the Pooh (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

Links to our threads on Lancelot du Lac (1974), Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), King Arthur (2004), The Last Legion (2007), Merlin (2008-2012), Camelot (2011), Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur (2016) and the in-development Arthur & Lancelot, Caliber, Excalibur, Roundtable, Pendragon, The Merlin Saga and Working Title's modernized Merlin movie.

Link to our thread on Minions (2015), which also features the Sword in the Stone as a somewhat disposable plot twist.

- - -

'Sword in the Stone' Live-Action Remake in the Works With 'Game of Thrones' Writer (Exclusive)
Disney is revisiting its 1963 animated fantasy The Sword in the Stone, putting into development a live-action remake.
Brian Cogman, a writer-producer on HBO’s fantasy Game of Thrones, has been tapped to pen the script for the project, which will be produced by Brigham Taylor.
Stone, the final movie released before Walt Disney’s death, told of a young King Arthur who is being mentored by Merlin.
The feature is loosely based on the T.H. White’s novel of the same name, which later became part of White’s multi-book Arthurian fantasy The Once and Future King. . . .
The Hollywood Reporter, July 20

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Disney's 'Sword in the Stone' Live-Action Remake Finds Director (Exclusive)
Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, perhaps best known for directing the zombie thriller 28 Weeks Later, is in negotiations to helm The Sword in the Stone, Disney's live-action reimagining of the studio's 1963 animated fantasy. . . .
Stone is the second Arthurian project the studio is developing as it's also working on The Merlin Saga, with Ridley Scott circling the tale of the powerful wizard's rise. . . .
Fresnadillo’s hiring points to the direction in which the remake will head. The filmmaker is known for his dark tones and directed the 2011 horror movie Intruders as well as the pilots for USA thriller Falling Water and CBS’ end-of-the-world drama Salvation. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, January 19

Adding this to my list of probably-distastrous Arthurian movies.

I sure hope Fresnadillo is a secret T.H. White superfan and that this live-action remake will be as enchanting as Kenneth Branagh's Cinderella. But the last thing the world needs is a "dark" take on The Sword in the Stone, the sunniest part of White's Once and Future King. Sure, Kay is a bit of a bully, and some of the animal adventures are a bit edgy, but the Wart is irrepressible, Merlin is a nice old codger and everything turns out fine.

Ideally, the tone should be more "A Knight's Tale," with amusing anachronisms, less Antoine Fuqua meets Evil Dead.

Reading the book right now, and I'm surprised how well the Disney film captures the tone of White's book, at least in the early chapters.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but I concur with everything Beth says above.

I picked up the book to get the taste of Guy Ritchie's awful King Arthur: Legend of the Sword out of my mouth. I liked Man from U.N.C.L.E. enough to give Ritchie the benefit of the doubt on that one, but yeech. Has any literary/legendary figure been more ill-treated by Hollywood than poor King Arthur? I'm going to go back and watch some more Arthur films over this next year to try to find some bright spots.