Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Captive

Not to be confused with Atom Egoyan's The Captive (2014).

Google describes this film thusly: "A hostage (Kate Mara) uses Rick Warren's 'The Purpose Driven Life' to convince her desperate captor (David Oyelowo) to put his life on the path to redemption." Coming to theatres September 18.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The director, Jerry Jameson, got his start in the early 1970s directing shows like The Mod Squad. He did episodes of Murder, She Wrote and Walker, Texas Ranger. It seems like he's shifted toward the faith-based market in the last decade or so. The writer is Brian Bird, who co-founded Believe Pictures with Michael Landon, Jr.

Oyelowo and Michael Kenneth Williams have both talked about their faith quite a bit (not sure about Mara). It's still hard to figure out how a Purpose-Driven Infomercial got picked up by Paramount 10 years after most people stopped talking about that book.

Tyler wrote:
: It's still hard to figure out how a Purpose-Driven Infomercial got picked up by Paramount 10 years after most people stopped talking about that book.

A few possible data points:

-- This film is apparently based on a true story. Maybe it takes place 10 years ago.

-- Paramount previously distributed Selma, which starred Oyelowo, and one of the top execs there is a Christian (which is why films like Noah and Ben-Hur have been made at Paramount, too).

Speaking of which, the reason I came across this trailer yesterday was because I was beginning to wonder when we might see a trailer for Ben-Hur, which opens in six and a half months, so I started checking the release schedule to see what the next Paramount film is (trailers often accompany new releases by the same studios), and it turns out Captive is it. And the next Paramount film after *that* is Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, which doesn't come out until October 23, over a month later.

It would not surprise me at all if the first trailer for Ben-Hur was released with Captive, given that both films have an obvious "faith-based" hook. But yikes, that would be kind of ghetto-y, wouldn't it?

It would not surprise me at all if the first trailer for Ben-Hur was released with Captive, given that both films have an obvious "faith-based" hook. But yikes, that would be kind of ghetto-y, wouldn't it?

The faith-based market is all about the ghetto.

Did anyone see or review this film in the end? I just came across it twice today. Great cast and Brad Bird, but I find the premise slightly horrifying.

Did anyone see or review this film in the end? I just came across it twice today. Great cast and Brad Bird, but I find the premise slightly horrifying.

*Brian Bird

The premise? Doesn't it stick fairly close to the actual events? Or do you just mean that the story itself, true as it is, is unsettling?

MattPage wrote:
: Did anyone see or review this film in the end?

Yep. (Saw it, that is. Haven't reviewed it.) Toronto was the only Canadian city that the film opened in, and I just *happened* to be in Toronto that weekend (at the tail end of TIFF), so I made a point of catching it before I caught my plane home.

The end credits include a clip of Rick Warren meeting the real-life character played by Kate Mara on the Oprah Winfrey show.

Alissa Wilkinson at CT Movies (she gives it 1.5 stars out of 4.:

The problem with this screenplay, however, is not dissimilar to a problem that plagues a lot of movies based on true stories, whether they’re true crime or biopics. That problem is this: writers tend to conflate a situation and a story. That is, they figure that recounting a series of events is enough for a movie to be compelling. Get all the events in the right order, and what you’ve got here is a film. The recounting of events is basically a retelling of the situation—here is what happened, from start to finish.

I dunno, I'd say there's a "story" here, insofar as being taken hostage compelled the Kate Mara character to give up drugs. The character has an arc. (It is less clear to me, in the foggy recesses of my memory, what the "story" was for the Oyelowo character.) But what the "faith-based" hook is here, apart from the Rick Warren connection, I'm not sure.