Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nathaniel

Green Tea

5 posts in this topic

No, this isn't a thread about J. Sheridan Le Fanu's masterly short story, "Green Tea," about a man haunted by the imp of suicide in the form of a demonic monkey. 

This is about the hot beverage popular in China and consumed on a regular basis by Steven D. Greydanus, to whom I now reach out. I've heard a lot about the glories of traditional Sen-cha, so I recently decided to buy a bag and try it for myself. So far, my efforts to brew a delicious cup have failed spectacularly. Instead of that rich green stuff I glimpse in pictures, I get a thin, virtually flavorless, colorless liquid, unworthy of a selfie. 

What am I doing wrong? Is the boiled water too hot or too tepid? Am I steeping for too long or not long enough? Should I use a tea ball or just let the leaves soak and strain afterward? I need answers, and so I turn to the master. Won't you help me, SDG?

I saw this thread title and visibly winced.

I've recently become a serious tea drinker, but keep so-called "green tea" far away from me.

Oh, I've never liked green tea. But when SDG called it "the greatest stuff on earth" and went public about quitting it for Lent, it moved me to action. Rather than send him a PM, I thought I'd post publicly so that others could receive the benefit of his wisdom.

Edited by Nathaniel

My aunt gave me a canister of oolong tea, and on the side, it has a chart of the proper water temperature for steeping all types of teas. According to that, green tea should be brewed at 175F. I don't know if that's true.

Anyway, I have always liked green tea, but I have never had the good fortune to try sencha or fukamushi. (I keep meaning to correct that). Of the supermarket green teas, I'd say Bigelow is the worst, and Ridgways and Twinings are fine, but that may be only because I've never had sencha.

Always looking for good green tea recommendations. I also like green tea blends (such as: https://www.harney.com/citron-green.html).

But we buy many boxes of the Trader Joes Candy Cane Green Tea when available, because it makes amazing iced tea in the summer.

Edited by M. Leary