Sign in to follow this  
Tyler

The Favourite

The next film from the director of Dogtooth, Alps, and The Lobster sounds much more traditional than his previous films. The Favourite is a period drama about the reign of England's Queen Anne. Kate Winslet, Emma Stone, and Olivia Colman are in discussions to join the cast.

4 minutes ago, Evan C said:

This is the first Lanthimos film that I've liked, let alone loved, so I decided to write a review, trying to explain why it works so well for me.

https://catholiccinephile.wordpress.com/2019/02/15/the-favourite/

Nice explanation, it's exactly this lack of playfulness that I found in The Lobster that you've identified that I had a hard time articulating on Twitter last night. I'll plan to check it out as it's still playing at the local theatre and it's my reading week next week and I'll have a bit more time.

I spent most of awards season chafing against the fact that The Favourite wasn't really available in my area, and then once it became available I still put it off until after Green Book got best picture. Based on everything I had heard and seen, I expected this one to become my automatic top film of 2018 and--yeah, it went right to the top and into the ol' personal canon. This is a gorgeous movie, for one thing, and the three leads are all solid. Funnily enough, the relational dynamics reminded me of Phantom Thread, in that both films portray subtly (or, in the case of Weisz's ridin' and shootin' getup, not-so)  sado-masochistic relationships, where the interest and frisson derive from the ways in which characters manipulate each other and themselves. This is a kinky movie, and no mistake, but it feels less leering than, for instance, The Handmaiden (a movie which, to be clear, I love). It's more detached, more interested in the internal dynamics of the central relationship than in the external forces bearing down on them.

So, yeah. I've not seen Green Book, but I have a hard time imagining it's more satisfying than The Favourite.

Edited by NBooth

https://letterboxd.com/andersjb/film/the-favourite/

Thanks to Evan and others who gave me encouragement to check this out, despite my dislike of The Lobster. I liked it quite a bit.