Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2016: Best Documentary Feature

Up to 124 films may qualify (though some of them have not yet played in Los Angeles theatres, as they will need to do by the end of the year).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Producers Guild of America nominees:

• Amy
  • The Hunting Ground
  • The Look of Silence
  • Meru
  • Something Better to Come

The winner will be announced January 23.

I regret to say I haven't seen *any* of these films yet, though I have a screener for one and I know at least two of the others played in Vancouver. The PGA nominees don't often overlap all that much with the Oscar nominees, though.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Academy's shortlist (with titles I've seen or have screeners of in bold):

• “Amy,” On the Corner Films and Universal Music
  • “Best of Enemies,” Sandbar
  • “Cartel Land,” Our Time Projects and The Documentary Group
  • “Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief,” Jigsaw Productions
  • “He Named Me Malala,” Parkes-MacDonald and Little Room
  • “Heart of a Dog,” Canal Street Communications
  • “The Hunting Ground,” Chain Camera Pictures
  • “Listen to Me Marlon,” Passion Pictures
  • “The Look of Silence,” Final Cut for Real
  • “Meru,” Little Monster Films
  • “3 1/2 Minutes, 10 Bullets,” The Filmmaker Fund, Motto Pictures, Lakehouse Films, Actual Films, JustFilms, MacArthur Foundation and Bertha BRITDOC
  • “We Come as Friends,” Adelante Films
  • “What Happened, Miss Simone?,” RadicalMedia and Moxie Firecracker
  • “Where to Invade Next,” Dog Eat Dog Productions
  • “Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom,” Pray for Ukraine Productions

Where to Invade Next press-screens in a couple weeks, and Heart of a Dog will be playing at the VanCity Theatre soon too. I missed Amy, Meru, The Hunting Ground and Listen to Me Marlon during their theatrical runs.

Something Better to Come is the only PGA nominee that did not make the Academy's shortlist.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I have no idea how much of a bellwether this is, Oscar-wise, but the International Documentary Association handed out its prizes recently, like so:

• The Look of Silence (winner)
  • Amy
  • The Black Panthers: Vanguard of the Revolution
  • Listen to Me Marlon
  • The Russian Woodpecker
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?

All but two of those are on the Oscar shortlist (the exceptions being The Black Panthers and The Russian Woodpecker).

Best of Enemies also won the Best Music award and the ABC News VideoSource Award "for the best use of news footage as an integral component in a documentary" (one of the runner-ups in the latter category was What Happened, Miss Simone?) and Listen to Me Marlon won Best Writing.

The American Cinema Editors nominees in the documentary category:

• Amy
  • Cobain: Montage of Heck
  • Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief
  • He Named Me Malala
  • The Wrecking Crew

The winner will be announced January 29.

All but two of those films are on the Oscar shortlist (the exceptions being Cobain: Montage of Heck and The Wrecking Crew).

The Writers Guild Award nominees for Best Documentary Screenplay:

• Being Canadian, Written by Robert Cohen; Candy Factory Films
  • Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, Written by Alex Gibney; HBO Documentary Films
  • Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, Written by Brett Morgen; HBO Documentary Films
  • Prophet’s Prey, Written by Amy J. Berg; Showtime Documentary Films

I believe this guild only nominates its own members, so there are a lot of Oscar-contending scripts that weren't even considered for the WGA award.

The winner will be announced February 13.

Going Clear is the only WGA nominee that is also on the Oscar shortlist.

It bums me out that there doesn't seem to be any way to add polls to existing threads in the current version of the board, but oh well.

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen or have screeners of in bold):

• “Amy,” On the Corner Films and Universal Music
  • “Cartel Land,” Our Time Projects and The Documentary Group
  • “The Look of Silence,” Final Cut for Real
  • “What Happened, Miss Simone?,” RadicalMedia and Moxie Firecracker
  • “Winter on Fire: Ukraine’s Fight for Freedom,” Pray for Ukraine Productions

Looks like the films Darrel and Andrew thought were shoo-ins didn't even get nominated.

So basically the Oscar nominees don't overlap at all with the WGA, Amy is the only film that got a nod from the ACE, Amy and The Look of Silence are the only films that got nods from the PGA, and Amy, The Look of Silence and What Happened Miss Simone? are the only films that got nods from the International Documentary Association.

I'm pretty sure those films are streaming on Netflix *everywhere*, as Netflix is the films' distributor (maybe even producer?). Oddly, I did get screeners of those films on DVD.

On 11/26/2015 at 9:13 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild of America nominees:

• Amy
  • The Hunting Ground
  • The Look of Silence
  • Meru
  • Something Better to Come

The winner will be announced January 23.

And the winner is... Amy.

The Motion Picture Sound Editors has announced the nominees for the Golden Reel Award in this category:

BEST SOUND EDITING: DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FILM
A Faster Horse, Mark Stoeckinger and Luke Gibleon
Amy, Andy Shelley and Stephen Griffiths
Best Of Enemies, Pete Horner
Kurt Cobain: Montage Of Heck, Cameron Frankley
Racing Extinction, Tim Nielsen and Christopher Barnett
The Wrecking Crew, Bob Bronow, MPSE
What Happened to Miss Simone, Tony Volante
Winter On Fire: Ukraine’s Fight For Freedom, Oleg Kulchytskyi

So only three of the Oscar nominees -- Amy, What Happened, Miss Simone? and Winter on Fire -- were also nominated for the Golden Reel Award.

The winner will be announced February 27.

On 1/4/2016 at 1:40 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The American Cinema Editors nominees in the documentary category:

• Amy
  • Cobain: Montage of Heck
  • He Named Me Malala
  • The Wrecking Crew

The winner will be announced January 29.

And the winner is... Amy.

I somehow missed the fact that the Directors Guild has a Documentary category. The nominees this year were (with Oscar nominees in bold):

• Amy
  • Cartel Land
  • Meru
  • What Happened, Miss Simone?

And the winner, announced tonight, is... Cartel Land! A worthy film, to be sure, but I would not have predicted that.

On 1/27/2016 at 7:45 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors has announced the nominees for the Golden Reel Award in this category:

BEST SOUND EDITING: DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FILM
A Faster Horse, Mark Stoeckinger and Luke Gibleon
Amy, Andy Shelley and Stephen Griffiths
Best Of Enemies, Pete Horner
Kurt Cobain: Montage Of Heck, Cameron Frankley
Racing Extinction, Tim Nielsen and Christopher Barnett
The Wrecking Crew, Bob Bronow, MPSE
What Happened to Miss Simone, Tony Volante
Winter On Fire: Ukraine’s Fight For Freedom, Oleg Kulchytskyi

So only three of the Oscar nominees -- Amy, What Happened, Miss Simone? and Winter on Fire -- were also nominated for the Golden Reel Award.

The winner will be announced February 27.

Forgot to note this earlier, but better late than never: The winner was... Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck, which didn't even make the Academy's shortlist (much less the nomination list).