Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

2015 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury

As an aside, I'm an hour into It Follows as I type this and it is doing nothing for me.

With The Babadook, I could at least bracket my dislike of the genre enough to contemplate its subject matter. Here the psychological subtext that is literally manifested by "it" is neitther particularly original nor exploited to say much original about the subject matter. (Unless I am missing something, which I grant is perfectly possible given that I'm typing on A&F while watching the movie.)

5 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Here the psychological subtext that is literally manifested by "it" is neither particularly original nor exploited to say much original about the subject matter. (Unless I am missing something, which I grant is perfectly possible given that I'm typing on A&F while watching the movie.)

I think I agree. I found It Follows conceptually to be really great, or at least really fascinating, but its execution left quite a bit to be desired.

On December 15, 2015 at 12:23:32 PM, kenmorefield said:

I will write a brief introduction to the list followed by blurbs for the Top 10. There is a place on the ballot to indicate your willingness to write a blurb for one of the winners. This is optional but good publicity for the individual critic. Because of where holidays fall this year, we'd like to get post up as quickly as possible once votes close (January 3), so please keep that in mind if you volunteer to write a blurb. I don't think it should take more than a day to write a blurb, so hopefully we I can get results to IMAGE no later than January 5. 

Ballots should go out December 28th to allow non-accredited jurors access to most Christmas films. (Might not be in time for Anomolisa or The Revenant depending on where you are...)

So, just to clarify: the nominating window closes on the 28th? And voting ends on the 3rd?

30 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Evan! I went to see this on your rec. today and....ugh.

Sorry to hear that. Was it the crudity or the writing and acting, or something else?

So Timbuktu is actually pretty great if anyone is looking for last minute nominees to screen under the wire. 

With voting coming up soon, is there anything I should prioritize among:

Amy, Bone Tomahawk, Jauja, McFarland USA, and The Salt of the Earth?

And how much of an effort should I make to get into an advance screening of The Revenant since it doesn't open here until January 8th?

I haven't seen Salt of the Earth or Bone Tomahawk. I was so-so on the other three, so not much help from me.

Salt of the Earth and Bone Tomahawk are both likely top ten contenders for me at this point: one for what I saw, one for what I heard.

1 minute ago, Bcolinstacy said:

Methinks you may have missed the deadline, Joel :/

Welp. It's presently 10:03 PM in Portland. But I'll survive if Creed isn't put on the ballot.

Ballot have been sent. If you did not get yours, please check you spam folder and contact me asap so that I can get you the link. 

Deadline for voting is Sunday, January 3 at midnight PST. 

Ken

P.S. (I did get Creed on the ballot.)

55 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Ballot have been sent. If you did not get yours, please check you spam folder and contact me asap so that I can get you the link. 

Deadline for voting is Sunday, January 3 at midnight PST. 

Ken

P.S. (I did get Creed on the ballot.)

Thank you Ken, both for Creed and your diligent efforts in making this jury happen.

I haven't opened the link to the ballot yet so I don't know if this is there as well, but I just looked at the list in this thread, and I noticed "How to be a God."

I assume that's referring to "Hard to Be a God."

7 hours ago, Evan C said:

I haven't opened the link to the ballot yet so I don't know if this is there as well, but I just looked at the list in this thread, and I noticed "How to be a God."

I assume that's referring to "Hard to Be a God."

Thanks Evan, it's fixed now.

I was filling out my ballot and noticed that one item, The Sublime and Beautiful, got inadvertently cut/pasted from last ballot and included in this year's ballot even though it was nog nominated for this year. 

If you have not yet voted, you may abstain from this one since it won't be counted. If you have already voted, no worries.