kenmorefield

2015 Arts & Faith Ecumenical Jury

Text editor is wonky, so I had to take out some of the links to dedicated threads in the nominated films post.

For those who haven't seen it yet, THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER is now streaming on Netflix U.S. Highly recommended.

47 minutes ago, Nathan Douglas said:

For those who haven't seen it yet, THE KINDERGARTEN TEACHER is now streaming on Netflix U.S. Highly recommended.

Thanks for this!

I have no idea what Netflix's algorithm is for determining their recommendations, but their star system says I'll hate The Kindergarten Teacher. They also list Trailer Park Boys and Cradle 2 The Grave in their Top Picks for Joel, so maybe Netflix just doesn't know me very well.

20 minutes ago, Joel Mayward said:

Thanks for this!

I have no idea what Netflix's algorithm is for determining their recommendations, but their star system says I'll hate The Kindergarten Teacher. They also list Trailer Park Boys and Cradle 2 The Grave in their Top Picks for Joel, so maybe Netflix just doesn't know me very well.

I have routinely found the Netflix star ratings give five stars to terrible movies and one star to great movies (with some notable exceptions). And the "recommended for Evan" is all over the place. I refuse to watch Nymphomaniac or rewatch Blue is the Warmest Color, even though Netflix seems to think I would like them. (Those are only recommended because I watch a lot of foreign films.)

1 hour ago, Nathan Douglas said:

Brilliant! I was very near to buying/renting this one. 

Time Out of Mind should be coming to Netflix on the 15th as well. Oh, and Guy Maddin's The Forbidden Room will be on Fandor starting tomorrow, if anyone is so inclined.

I'd be tempted to nominate Tu Dors Nicole as well (or, as I like to call it Francais Ha), but it's been so long since I've seen it, I don't know if I could make a tangible connection to the "faith" aspect of the jury.

I'll nominate James White. (Noel mentioned this earlier but I don't think it was an official nomination.)

On December 13, 2015 at 12:55:35 PM, kenmorefield said:

I'll nominate James White. (Noel mentioned this earlier but I don't think it was an official nomination.)

Sorry Ken -Yes this was an official nomination

Ken, do we have the latest list of those with multiple nominations yet? I've cycled through the 9 pages here -and I've got a few that I don't think were on the list(s), but I may have missed them. 

This one may sound a bit crazy to some ... but I've got to say the most enjoyable time I had at the theatre this year was watching "Antman." It was a different kind of Marvel, superhero film and had a message focused on family, and finding one's purpose (even in the most odd of circumstances). It was a creative take on redemption, sacrifice, and selflessness. I nominate this (if it hasn't already been). 

I'll give a second to McFarland, USA.
Not sure how high it will score, but I do think some more commercial movies deserve consideration.