Tyler

Star Trek: Discovery

79 posts in this topic

The design for that ship actually comes from Ken Adam's unused Enterprise designs, whose work was the basis of that McQuarrie art.

It looks beautiful.

Looks like what you might expect from a joint venture between Klingon Empire and Federation, which makes sense if this follows Undiscovered Country.

Also did anyone else mention that Netflix will be carrying this show

I stand corrected about anthology or time setting, apparently that was all a rumor. It will be a more involved show than just a crew on a spaceship though. 

And the registry number puts it pre OS actually so maybe somewhere between Enterprise and OS

Edited by Justin Hanvey

According to Bryan Fuller, “Discovery” will be set about 10 years before the original series and will focus on an event from Federation history that was “talked about but not explored” … and not the battle of Axanar (Capt. Garth), or Section 31, though that will be included somehow.  So if it’s in 2255, it's the time frame of “The Cage” with Christopher Pike – could it be about the Talosians?  or something further back...

Fuller also reports the show will have seven main characters with a female lead-- lieutenant commander –  lots of diversity, aliens, etc. Must admit I’m intrigued – though paying for a show that contains ads, not so much.

Edited by phlox

The more I hear from Fuller, the more excited I get. I'm just hoping the platform doesn't destroy the show before it gets a chance to show its stuff. 

19 minutes ago, NBooth said:

The more I hear from Fuller, the more excited I get. I'm just hoping the platform doesn't destroy the show before it gets a chance to show its stuff. 

Yeah. This platform sounds like a disaster, so I'm guessing one season is all we get.

8 hours ago, Ryan H. said:

Yeah. This platform sounds like a disaster, so I'm guessing one season is all we get.

I'm afraid you're right, which means Fuller will continue his trend of cancelled shows. Here's hoping American Gods has some staying power, at least.

We can always hope that the plans for the platform change and the CBS brass decides to air all of Discovery on CBS.

some are speculating the first episodes will feature the battle over Donatu V, mentioned in "Trouble with Tribbles", and one of the bigger skirmishes that started the cold war between Federation and Klingon Empire.

4 hours ago, Justin Hanvey said:

some are speculating the first episodes will feature the battle over Donatu V, mentioned in "Trouble with Tribbles", and one of the bigger skirmishes that started the cold war between Federation and Klingon Empire.

That certainly fits with Meyer's comments.

More precisely, she will be called Number One in honor of Majel Barrett's character. I don't think that necessarily means it's the same character. In the interview, Fuller is responding to the question of whether the character is Number One and he says "she's called Number One" and then goes on with the bit quoted below. 

“Star Trek Discovery’s” lead character, whom we learned earlier this month would be a female, human non-captain Starfleet officer, will be referred to in the series as “Number One,” showrunner Bryan Fuller told me during a radio chat late Saturday.  "When we introduce our protagonist, she is called 'Number One' in honor of Majel Barrett's character in the original pilot ["The Cage," which starred Jeffrey Hunter as Capt. Christopher Pike].  And as we were first talking about the series, talking to CBS, we said intially we will only call this character Number One."  Fuller added that we will learn Number One's real name before the end of the first season.

Edited by NBooth

That makes more sense as to the possible spy and political intrigue threads of the series. 

Interestingly, if Star Trek: Discovery takes place ten years before the original series, that *could* mean it will happen around the same time that the original Star Trek pilot (the one with Majel Barret's 'Number One') took place. The Captain Kirk episodes all took place between 2265 and 2269, but the Captain Pike pilot took place during 2254 -- eleven years before the first Captain Kirk episode. So it would not be impossible for the Enterprise or any of its then-crew (including Mr Spock!) to make an appearance in this series.

Unless "ten years before the original series" means ten years before the Captain Pike episode?

Just a couple of updates—“Discovery” now has an ad-free option for $9.99 / month.

Also Bryan Fuller says the story arc takes the early TOS episode “Balance of Terror” as a touchstone….Made me wonder if it has to do with the common ancestry of the Romulans and Vulcans--or the “Time of Awakening” when Surak introduced the way of logic….

Edited by phlox

1 hour ago, phlox said:

Just a couple of updates—“Discovery” now has an ad-free option for $9.99 / month.

Also Bryan Fuller says the story arc takes the early TOS episode “Balance of Terror” as a touchstone….Made me wonder if it has to do with revealing the common ancestry of the Romulans and Vulcans--or the “Time of Awakening” when Sarek introduced the way of logic….

Hmm, 10 years? I wonder if he meant 100 years, then it could be about the Earth-Romulan War that established the Neutral Zone, etc. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Earth-Romulan_War

Well, Fuller had stated earlier, three things the mission would not be about-- the Romulan war,  Axanar, and Section 31. Though if we are being somewhat misled, it wouldn’t be the first time - !

Maybe the “touchstone” concept simply means aiming for the standard set by one of the better episodes, e.g. the Romulan captain saying to Kirk, ”You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could’ve called you friend.”

There’s a “Discovery” book and comic series scheduled alongside the show, as well.

Edited by phlox

Considering Meyer is onboard, I assume this means that they're going to be pushing a Cold War/submarine warfare aethetic. 

I don't know about television, but in the film world, "executive producer" can either mean "someone who is totally in charge" (a la George Lucas on the original Star Wars sequels) or "someone who wasn't really involved in what got made but we wanted to honour his past involvement in some earlier version of the show's development" (a la... actually, Roberto Orci was credited as a "producer" on Star Trek Beyond, not "executive producer", after they scrapped his script and bumped him from the director's chair; but you get the idea). And I'm sure there's a whole spectrum in-between.

Given how busy Fuller will be with American Gods and Amazing Stories, I'd guess he won't be involved very directly with Discovery.

Amazing Stories? As in, like, the Spielberg series from the '80s?