• “The Laws of the Universe - Part 0”
  • “Minions”
  • “Moomins on the Riviera”
  • “The Peanuts Movie”
  • “Regular Show: The Movie”
  • “Shaun the Sheep Movie”
  • “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge out of Water”
  • “When Marnie Was There”

Mark Harris tweeted earlier today that, given the fact that 5 of these 16 films will be nominated for the Oscar, each film has something like an over-30-percent chance of being nominated in this category -- which is way, way higher than the odds of an eligible film being nominated in any of the Academy's other categories. Make of that what you will.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

14 nominations in 11 categories:

• Inside Out -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Voice Acting (Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith), Character Design, Character Animation (x2), Production Design, Storyboarding (x2), Animated Effects, Editing, Music

10 nominations in 7 categories:

• The Good Dinosaur -- Best Animated Feature, Character Design, Character Animation (x2), Production Design, Storyboarding (x3), Animated Effects, Music

7 nominations in 6 categories:

• Minions -- Voice Acting (Pierre Coffin, Jon Hamm), Character Design, Character Animation, Production Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects

5 nominations:

• Anomalisa -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Voice Acting (Jennifer Jason Leigh), Editing, Music
  • Shaun the Sheep Movie -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Production Design, Editing

5 nominations in 4 categories:

• The Peanuts Movie -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Voice Acting (Alex Garfin, Hadley Belle Miller), Character Animation

3 nominations:

• Boy and the World -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Production Design, Music
  • Home -- Character Animation, Production Design, Animated Effects
  • Hotel Transylvania 2 -- Character Design, Storyboarding, Animated Effects
  • Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing, Editing
  • When Marnie Was There -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature, Directing, Writing

2 nominations:

• Extraordinary Tales -- Directing, Storyboarding
  • He Named Me Malala -- Best Animated Special Production, Production Design
  • The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water -- Voice Acting (Tom Kenny), Animated Effects

1 nomination:

• Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem -- Music
  • The Boy and the Beast -- Best Animated INDEPENDENT Feature
  • Elf: Buddy's Musical Christmas -- Best Animated Special Production
  • I Am a Witness -- Best Animated Special Production
  • Kite -- Best Animated Special Production
  • Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck -- Best Animated Special Production
  • Niko and the Sword of Light -- Best Animated Special Production

Every film with at least three Annie nominations is on the list of eligible Oscar nominees (and so are SpongeBob, which has two Annie nominations, and The Boy and the Beast, which has one). The Annie Awards did *not* hand out any nominations for Oscar contenders The Laws of the Universe - Part 0, Moomims on the Riviera or Regular Show: The Movie.

The Annie Award winners will be announced February 6.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The American Cinema Editors nominees in the animation category:

• Anomalisa
  • Inside Out
  • The Good Dinosaur

The winner will be announced January 29.

The Producers Guild Award nominees:

• Anomalisa
  • The Good Dinosaur
  • Inside Out
  • Minions
  • The Peanuts Movie

The winner will be announced January 23.

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees in the animated categories:

Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature
The Peanuts Movie
Inside Out
Anomalisa
Hotel Transylvania 2
The Good Dinosaur

Outstanding Animated Performance in an Animated Feature
The Peanuts Movie; Snoopy
The Peanuts Movie; Charlie Brown
Inside Out; Joy
The Good Dinosaur; Spot

Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature
The Good Dinosaur; The Farm
Inside Out; Imagination Land
The Peanuts Movie; Charlie Brown's Neighborhood
Shaun the Sheep Movie; Under the Arches

Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Animated Feature
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
The Good Dinosaur
Home

The film with the most nominations is The Peanuts Movie (5 nominations in 4 categories). The runner-ups are The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out (4 nominations), and the films that have only a single nomination are Anomalisa, Home, Hotel Transylvania 2 and Shaun the Sheep Movie.

The winners will be announced on February 2.

The Cinema Audio Society has announced its nominees for sound mixing in an animated film:

• The Good Dinosaur
  • Hotel Transylvania 2
  • Inside Out
  • Minions
  • The Peanuts Movie

The winner will be announced February 20.

It bums me out that there doesn't seem to be any way to add polls to existing threads in the current version of the board, but oh well.

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Anomalisa
  • Boy and the World
  • Inside Out
  • Shaun the Sheep Movie
  • When Marnie Was There

Note: Inside Out is the only American computer-animated kids' movie on the list. Anomalisa is stop-motion and R-rated (the first film with that rating to be nominated for this award, I believe). Shaun the Sheep is also stop-motion, and British. And Boy and the World (from Brazil) and When Marnie Was There (from Japan) both use traditional hand-drawn animation.

In other words, no Minions, no Home, no Hotel Transylvania 2... and no The Peanuts Movie, which I wouldn't have minded. But I really can't complain about the choices here. In a year when, once again, people are complaining about the lack of "diversity" among Oscar nominees, the animation branch has done the Academy proud.

On 1/5/2016 at 1:05 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild Award nominees:

• Anomalisa
  • The Good Dinosaur
  • Inside Out
  • Minions
  • The Peanuts Movie

The winner will be announced January 23.

And the winner is... Inside Out.

The Motion Picture Sound Editors has announced the nominees for the Golden Reel Award in this category:

BEST SOUND EDITING: SOUND EFFECTS, FOLEY, DIALOGUE & ADR IN AN ANIMATION FEATURE FILM
Anomalisa, Aaron Glacock and Christopher S. Aud, MPSE
Hotel Transylvania 2, Geoffrey Rubay
Inside Out, Shannon Mills and Ren Klyce
Minions, Dennis Leonard
Shaun The Sheep Movie, Anthony Bayman and Adrian Rhodes
The Good Dinosaur, Shannon Mills
The Peanuts Movie, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, MPSE and Randy Thom

So there is only a three-movie overlap between the Oscar and the Golden Reel Award in this category (basically, the Golden Reel Award did not nominate the Brazilian or Japanese film; all of their nominees are American except for Shaun the Sheep Movie, which is British).

The winner will be announced February 27.

On 1/4/2016 at 1:36 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The American Cinema Editors nominees in the animation category:

• Anomalisa
  • Inside Out
  • The Good Dinosaur

The winner will be announced January 29.

On 1/12/2016 at 1:47 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Visual Effects Society has announced its nominees in the animated categories: . . .

The film with the most nominations is The Peanuts Movie (5 nominations in 4 categories). The runner-ups are The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out (4 nominations), and the films that have only a single nomination are Anomalisa, Home, Hotel Transylvania 2 and Shaun the Sheep Movie.

The winners will be announced on February 2.

And the winners are... The Good Dinosaur with 3 and Inside Out with 1.

On 12/1/2015 at 8:58 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold) . . .

The Annie Award winners will be announced February 6.

And the winners are... Inside Out, which won everything except Animated Effects (The Good Dinosaur), Best Animated Independent Feature (Boy and the World) and Best Animated Special Production (He Named Me Malala).

Two of those films -- Boy and the World and Inside Out -- are up for the Oscar.

On 1/13/2016 at 4:59 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Cinema Audio Society has announced its nominees for sound mixing in an animated film:

• The Good Dinosaur
  • Hotel Transylvania 2
  • Inside Out
  • Minions
  • The Peanuts Movie

The winner will be announced February 20.

On 1/27/2016 at 7:40 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors has announced the nominees for the Golden Reel Award in this category:

BEST SOUND EDITING: SOUND EFFECTS, FOLEY, DIALOGUE & ADR IN AN ANIMATION FEATURE FILM
Anomalisa, Aaron Glacock and Christopher S. Aud, MPSE
Hotel Transylvania 2, Geoffrey Rubay
Inside Out, Shannon Mills and Ren Klyce
Minions, Dennis Leonard
Shaun The Sheep Movie, Anthony Bayman and Adrian Rhodes
The Good Dinosaur, Shannon Mills
The Peanuts Movie, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, MPSE and Randy Thom

So there is only a three-movie overlap between the Oscar and the Golden Reel Award in this category (basically, the Golden Reel Award did not nominate the Brazilian or Japanese film; all of their nominees are American except for Shaun the Sheep Movie, which is British).

The winner will be announced February 27.

Forgot to note this earlier, but better late than never: The winner was... Inside Out.