Jump to content

Oscars 2016: Best Picture


Recommended Posts

The Screen Actors Guild has announced its nominees for the ensemble award, which is sort of their version of a "best picture" award:

  • Beasts of No Nation
  • The Big Short
  • Spotlight
  • Straight Outta Compton
  • Trumbo

The winner will be announced January 30.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

The Producers Guild Award nominees:

  • The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Ex Machina
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • Sicario
  • Spotlight
  • Straight Outta Compton

The winner will be announced January 23.

For what it's worth, only three films appear on both the SAG and PGA nominee lists: The Big Short, Spotlight and Straight Outta Compton.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

It bums me out that there doesn't seem to be any way to add polls to existing threads in the current version of the board, but oh well.

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

  • The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • Room
  • Spotlight
Seven of these eight nominees were also nominated by the PGA, and Room took the place of Ex Machina, Sicario and Straight Outta Compton. The only two films on this list that were also nominated for the SAG ensemble award are The Big Short and Spotlight.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2016 at 1:03 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild Award nominees:

  • The Big Short
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Brooklyn
  • Ex Machina
  • Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The Martian
  • The Revenant
  • Sicario
  • Spotlight
  • Straight Outta Compton

The winner will be announced January 23.

And the winner is... The Big Short!

Wow. The last time the PGA clearly disagreed with the Oscars was in 2006, when the PGA went to Little Miss Sunshine and the Oscar went to The Departed. (I say "clearly" because, in 2013, the PGA was tied between 12 Years a Slave, which won the Oscar, and Gravity, which didn't.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big Short is an actors' movie, driven by the flashy performances the academy loves to award, and I could easily see it winning the SAG award, so hmm. On the other hand, I'll be very surprised if it wins the DGA.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2015 at 9:23 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Screen Actors Guild has announced its nominees for the ensemble award, which is sort of their version of a "best picture" award:

  • Beasts of No Nation
  • The Big Short
  • Spotlight
  • Straight Outta Compton
  • Trumbo

The winner will be announced January 30.

And the winner is... Spotlight!

So the PGA award went to The Big Short and the SAG award went to Spotlight, and now the world waits with bated breath to see who wins the DGA award...

Mind you, the SAG award is not as clear a predictor of Best Picture success as the PGA and DGA awards have been. In 2013, they gave it to American Hustle while Best Director went to Gravity and Best Picture went to 12 Years a Slave; and in 2011 they gave it to The Help while the Oscars went to The Artist; and in 2009 they gave it to Inglourious Basterds while the Oscars went to The Hurt Locker; and so on.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 minutes ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

So the PGA award went to The Big Short and the SAG award went to Spotlight, and now the world waits with bated breath to see who wins the DGA award...

I have a feeling (or maybe I'm just hoping since I think he should be the clear winner) that Miller's going to get the DGA for Mad Max: Fury Road, which would make things very interesting.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Evan C wrote:
: I have a feeling (or maybe I'm just hoping since I think he should be the clear winner) that Miller's going to get the DGA for Mad Max: Fury Road, which would make things very interesting.

Alas, the DGA went to The Revenant... but that still makes things very interesting. Three big prognosticators, three utterly different results. Who *knows* which way the Oscars will go.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

Evan C wrote:
: I have a feeling (or maybe I'm just hoping since I think he should be the clear winner) that Miller's going to get the DGA for Mad Max: Fury Road, which would make things very interesting.

Alas, the DGA went to The Revenant... but that still makes things very interesting. Three big prognosticators, three utterly different results. Who *knows* which way the Oscars will go.

The last time all three guilds split was in 2005, with the PGA for The Aviator, SGA for Sideways, and DGA for Million Dollar Baby. Considering it has 12 nominations, I unfortunately think the Oscar will go to The Revenant.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...