We don't seem to have a thread on Xena: Warrior Princess--original or reboot--so I'll go ahead and start one. I'm not at all familiar with the original property, but this bit of news has raised my interest in the reboot:

NBC’s planned remake of popular syndicated action-adventure series Xena: Warrior Princess has taken a step forward with a writer hire. Lostalum Javier Grillo-Marxuach has been tapped to pen the project, which he will executive produce with the original series’ executive producers Rob Tapert and Sam Raimi.

Javier Grillo-Marxuach also created/show-ran The Middleman, which is a small favorite of mine; he's currently working on The 100 (here's our thread on that show), which I've not seen. He's also--based on a couple of [very minor] social-media interactions with him as well as general observation on my part--quite a nice guy. He was also involved with Lost early on--he was a supervising producer and wrote several episodes--so here's our thread on that show.

Edited by NBooth

Xena is/was a wacky mix of pseudo-classical mythology. She was supposedly an Amazon and most episodes included some Greco-Roman mythical or legendary character, such as Ares, Julius Caesar, or Hercules (Kevin Sorbo, who eventually got his own spinoff). Over 6 seasons, the mythological landscape expanded to include Chinese, Germanic/Norse (Brunhilda! Beowulf) and Judeo-Christian (Lucifer; a Christ-like character called Eli; Xena herself is actually crucified at one point).

The show spawned much speculation and fanfic regarding the relationship of the central characters, Xena and Gabrielle (a village girl with a talent for story-telling and a yen for adventure), but within the canon of the show, they had numerous male loves, and ultimately claimed each other as "soul mates."

The tone could shift dramatically from slapstick to dark. Naturally, there's a lot of action. Its online fan/scholar journal, Whoosh!, inspired Slayage. (The International Association of Xenoid Studies seems to be defunct (last update 2002). The Whedon Studies Association will hold its seventh international conference next summer.)

I decided to watch a few episodes after this news broke--on the prompting of some friends--fully expecting my reaction to be the same as the one I had to Hercules (namely: "this show is clearly too subtle for me"). But, y'know, I kind of enjoy it. I mean, it's cheesy as heck. But the characters of Xena and Gabrielle are reasonably engaging and pretty much unlike anything else I can remember on television (particularly Xena, for obvious reasons).

Edited by NBooth