The shortlist:

•    "Black Mass"
  •    "Concussion"
  •    "Legend"
  •    "Mad Max: Fury Road"
  •    "Mr. Holmes"
  •    "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared"
  •    "The Revenant"

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 weeks later...

The Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild has announced its nominees:

FEATURE MOTION PICTURE – BEST CONTEMPORARY MAKE-UP

THE BIG SHORT
FURIOUS 7
PITCH PERFECT 2
SICARIO
YOUTH

FEATURE MOTION PICTURE – BEST CONTEMPORARY HAIR STYLING

EX MACHINA
FURIOUS 7
PITCH PERFECT 2
SPECTRE
SPY

FEATURE MOTION PICTURE – BEST PERIOD AND/OR CHARACTER MAKE-UP

BROOKLYN
CAROL
CINDERELLA
THE DANISH GIRL
MAD MAX: FURY ROAD

FEATURE MOTION PICTURE – BEST PERIOD AND/OR CHARACTER HAIR STYLING

BROOKLYN
CAROL
CINDERELLA
DANISH GIRL

FEATURE MOTION PICTURE – BEST SPECIAL MAKE-UP EFFECTS

BLACK MASS
EX MACHINA
THE HUNGER GAMES: MOCKINGJAY – PART 2
STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS

The winners will be announced February 20.

Notably, Black Mass and Mad Max: Fury Road are the only films that appear both on the Oscar shortlist and among the guild nominees.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

It bums me out that there doesn't seem to be any way to add polls to existing threads in the current version of the board, but oh well.

The nominees for the Oscar are (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• Mad Max: Fury Road
  • The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared
  • The Revenant

Mad Max: Fury Road is the only Oscar nominee that was also nominated for any of the guild awards.

I haven't seen The 100-Year-Old Man yet, but it's streaming on Netflix (at least in Canada).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2016 at 11:30 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Make-Up Artists and Hair Stylists Guild has announced its nominees: . . .

The winners will be announced February 20.

And the winners are... Mad Max: Fury Road won two awards (for period and/or character makeup *and* for special makeup effects), while three other films won one award each: Furious 7 (contemporary makeup), Pitch Perfect 2 (contemporary hair styling), Cinderella (period and/or character hairstyling).

Not surprisingly, Mad Max: Fury Road -- the only double winner -- is also the only film nominated by the guild that was also nominated for the Oscar in this category.