Sign in to follow this  
Darren H

In the Shadow of Women

Philippe Garrel's latest film, In the Shadow of Women, begins its U.S. theatrical run today. It doesn't appear to be getting a very wide release, but I'd encourage you to see it on a big screen if you get a chance. If you're within driving distance of Knoxville, The Public Cinema is having a free screening on the afternoon of Sunday, February 21. It's one of my favorite films of the year, and it's by one of my all-time favorite directors, so I'm thrilled to be bringing a Garrel film to town (I believe this will be the first).

And if you missed the social media push on Wednesday, my round-table conversation with Garrel, Eric Hynes, and Vadim Rizov was published this week. It is, I believe, the most extensive (three hours!) English-language interview he's ever given and was undoubtedly the high point of my life as a cinephile.

Part 1 at Filmmaker
Part 2 at MUBI
Part 3 at Reverse Shot

Thanks for sharing this, Darren. In the Shadow of Women was my first Garrel, and at the time I saw it, I wasn't quite sure how to approach it. This interview is the sort of source I've been needing to immerse myself in to help my relationship with the film.