Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Lucky Logan, dir. Steven Soderbergh

I liked it well enough, but I didn't think it was very funny. There weren't many jokes, and most of them land better in the trailer than the actual movies.

I spent a lot of it thinking Soderbergh hates small town people on an almost Woody Allen level, but the last act turned around my reading of the movie.

Tyler wrote:
: I spent a lot of it thinking Soderbergh hates small town people on an almost Woody Allen level . . .

That's interesting, as one person I saw on Twitter said the film was like a Coen brothers movie except that it had affection for its characters, or something like that. (I wish it wasn't so difficult to search the Twitter archives...)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

This movie deserved to be a big hit, its a pity it tanked.  Guess maybe it was too country and non-sexy to make it with urban audiences, and too critical and mocking of Southern and rural audiences to catch on.  Not that it was too mocking--it came from a place of real experience, and real affection for its characters and region, while still having an overall critical appraisal of the ways Southern culture allows itself to be exploited by business and cultural elites.  There's so much detail here, and so many points it wants to make!  It may be a little much, honestly; it certainly goes on 10-15 minutes longer than it needs to, even allowing for thematic wrap-up.  It's never as purely fun and fleet as Ocean's Eleven, but it's also a good deal more enjoyable than Behind the Candelabra or Magic Mike XXL.