Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Jeannette: The Childhood of Joan of Arc

Links to our threads on Carl Dreyer's The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928), Victor Fleming's Joan of Arc (1948), Otto Preminger's Saint Joan (1957), Robert Bresson's The Trial of Joan of Arc (1962),  Philippe Ramos' The Silence of Joan (2011), The Hollow Crown (2012-2016), Kimberly Cutter's The Maid (in development) and Dana Stevens' The Maid and The Queen: The Secret History of Joan of Arc (in development).

Link to a thread from Sep-Oct 2003 in which SDG and I butted heads over Joan of Arc.

Links to our threads on earlier Bruno Dumont films Twentynine Palms (2003), Hadewijch (2009), Outside Satan (2011), Camille Claudel 1915 (2013) and Li'l Quinquin (2014). We don't seem to have any threads on The Life of Jesus (1997), Humanité (1999), Flanders (2006) or Slack Bay (2016).

- - -

Berlin: Bruno Dumont Set for Joan of Arc Musical Drama (EXCLUSIVE)
Bruno Dumont, whose 2013 Juliette Binoche starrer “Camille Claudel 1915” competed in Berlin, will next be directing “Jeanette,” a musical drama based on Charles Peguy’s play “Le Mystere de la charite de Jeanne d’Arc.
Produced by Jean Brehat for 3B Prods., “Jeanette” the musical will focus on the part of Peguy’s play that deals with Joan of Arc as a child, from age 8-12, when she started to embrace her sacred mission.
Arte France Cinema is co-producing. Like 2014’s “Li’l Quinquin,” Dumont’s comedy-drama TV mini-series that premiered at Cannes’ Directors’ Fortnight and sold worldwide, “Jeanette” is being produced for television but will be repped by a sales agent for theatrical distribution abroad.
“Jeanette’s” rock and techno score will be composed by Gautier Serre (aka Igorrr) and choreographed by Philippe Decoufle, whose credits include “Le Dernier Chaperon rouge” and “New Order: Substance.”
Shooting will start in August.
Variety, February 14

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

French Auteur Bruno Dumont on His Upcoming Joan of Arc Musical ‘Jeanette’
Meanwhile you’ve just finished your first musical “Jeanette” about Joan of Arc, based on a text by turn-of-the-century French poet and writer Charles Péguy. “Jeanette” will feature an experimental electro-pop score. Can you talk to me it?
I have adapted a part of Peguy’s piece titled “La Petite Jean” about when Joan of Arc was between 8 and 14 years old. My film ends where all the other movies begin. What I was interested in is how a young very simple peasant girl can become such an icon and have a desire to become a warrior of God, which for me is a total mystery. I tried to understand that, which is exactly what Peguy does. Except he’s a poet and quite difficult to read. I tried to do it through a musical, with songs and dance so that these very difficult questions could become very easy [to understand]. In other words I’m glad because it’s a way of saying very deep things — because Peguy is very deep — in a way that’s very approachable by a wide audience, since there is now a large audience for musical comedies.
Can you tell me more about the musical aspect?
The melodies are very popular, the music is electro-pop, so very contemporary. It’s what young people listen to. They songs are a bit like rap. There are some very poetic themes in rap, Peguy is actually a rapper if you listen to his poems. It’s a big cauldron of genres, produced by Arte for both TV and movie theatres. We have two versions. In France it will go out on TV on Arte followed by a theatrical release.
Variety, March 10