Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joel

Kanye West - the Life of Pablo

6 posts in this topic

OK....what?

"Ultralight Beam" amazed me, but I haven't really heard the rest and I guess I won't since he's not selling it...anyone heard it?

signed up for a free trial last night...not really feeling the album.

After a few more listens I like the album more than I did -- musically, anyway. Lyrically it seems mostly awful, like as bad as the worst parts of Yeezus. Some truly heinous lyrics.

Some tracks are absolutely gorgeous musically, though. "Ultralight Beam" is a masterpiece*, "Famous" has a fantastic beat and samples, and "Wolves" is haunting.

Anyone else taken the plunge with this record?

* Side note: Chance's verse on this song led me to the song he shouts out, "Sunday Candy," which is one of the most joyful R&B/rap songs I've heard in years. It's also about, to quote this page from Notre Dame, sexuality as "Eucharstic self-gift."

1 hour ago, Joel said:

After a few more listens I like the album more than I did -- musically, anyway. Lyrically it seems mostly awful, like as bad as the worst parts of Yeezus. Some truly heinous lyrics.

Some tracks are absolutely gorgeous musically, though. "Ultralight Beam" is a masterpiece*, "Famous" has a fantastic beat and samples, and "Wolves" is haunting.

Anyone else taken the plunge with this record?

* Side note: Chance's verse on this song led me to the song he shouts out, "Sunday Candy," which is one of the most joyful R&B/rap songs I've heard in years. It's also about, to quote this page from Notre Dame, sexuality as "Eucharstic self-gift."

I've taken the plunge. Scattered thoughts: Yes, the lyrics are awful awful awful. Yes, UltraLight Beam is great. Simply great. I've listened multiple times to the album, and I think I may be able to cut it down to a playlist of 10 songs that I might enjoy. The original version of Wolves that was being passed around a couple weeks ago is much better than the "album" version. I'm not sure what exactly this album IS. It seems an awful work in progress, like Kanye was finally surrounded by too many yes-men and started to believe that he could really put out anything in any state and have it be incredible. This is not. The production is often a mess, the clipping is horrid, and the lyrics. I don't want to think about them. The second/third track, for instance, starts out fascinating and then the lyrics screw it up. The model/asshole couplet is unbelievably horrid and stupid.

In other news: Sunday Candy was my favourite track from last year. Endlessly fascinating.