BethR   

Way back in 2010, The Good Wife turned up in some "best" lists. In 2014, I wondered why we didn't have a thread for it here, as I know some of us admire it, but didn't start one myself. This year, the producers/showrunners Robert & Michelle King announced that this, the 7th season, would be the last. As the Huffington Post points out, "All Good Things Must End, and In Fact, Should.":

From the beginning, The Good Wife had something that broadcast TV starting losing a few years ago: prestige. It was a certified "quality show." It won awards, for itself and for Margulies. It was a card CBS could play in any game where quality golden-age contemporary TV drama was being discussed.

Ironically, said Robert King, that intangible value made it a little tricky to follow the seven-year plan.

The Kings were "trying to find completion in a form that tends to rebel against completion," he said. "Which is broadcast network TV, which really does want to be an ongoing structure."

The New Yorker's Jerome Rothman explains why The Good Wife is much more than just a courtroom drama or a family conflict drama:

It’s not simply that, scene to scene, the series is entertaining and intelligent; in the course of five seasons, “The Good Wife” has become profound. The fundamentals haven’t changed: most episodes still revolve around a single case (a murder, a class action, a corporate merger), and there are still lots of lawyers shouting, “Objection!” But the atmosphere in which all this happens has become meditative, even existential....

...In its first few seasons, the show staged a deeply imagined, almost Dostoyevskian confrontation between the two world views represented by Alicia and Peter. Alicia, broadly speaking, represented humility—the decision, when faced with a dispute, to put aside your own feelings and interests and come to an agreement. Peter, by contrast, was all about power: cross him, and he destroys you. “The Good Wife” shows how this contrast plays out in various domains.

I'm not one of those people who keeps asking when a favorite show will return (just look at the current X-Files...you can never recapture the old flame.) I'm glad they're giving The Good Wife a chance to wrap up in whatever way the writers see fit, rather than canceling it unceremoniusly halfway through a season, but it's better to end than just drag on forever.

Other thoughts? Favorite seasons or characters?

BethR   

Not too pleased to see they're trying to make a Good Wife spin-off happen. I'm sure the writing will be good, but other than the female leads, how will it distinguish itself from every other courtroom drama?

Everyone else, add the original to your Netflix queue.

phlox   

Must admit, this has been one of my all-time favorite series….still in the midst of it.

Apparently the spinoff, called “The Good Fight,” premieres on Feb. 19. Not sure I’ll watch it,  would miss some of the great characters from the original, but interesting that the new cast includes Bernadette Peters.

BethR   

I watched the first episode of The Good Fight, but am unwilling to subscribe to CBS All Access to follow the rest. It looked intriguing, though, and they're bringing back many favorite guest stars/characters. I hope it will be available someday on some other streaming platform.

On 3/13/2017 at 10:30 AM, BethR said:

I watched the first episode of The Good Fight, but am unwilling to subscribe to CBS All Access to follow the rest. It looked intriguing, though, and they're bringing back many favorite guest stars/characters. I hope it will be available someday on some other streaming platform.

The first season is fairly strong. Not as good as The Good Wife at its peak, but better than it was at the end. 

There's a pretty great illustration of the mechanisms of fake news, reminding us of what the show is good at -- illustrating complex modern ideas through narrative. Also, I'll cop to thinking Diane is a more interesting character than Alicia was. "Life has a way of reminding you who you are." Indeed. The best thing, though, is getting away from Lockhart-Gardner, where the in-house politics became a distracting self-parody. The new firm has some politicking, of course, but the racial wrinkle is interesting and it the office politics becomes more about self-definition than the Machiavellian maneuvers themselves. 

Rose Leslie's thread feels dull. Maybe that's because she's new and we know DIane, but she just feels like she's in a Damages retread. Her character's incidental lesbianism is perhaps relevant in a social/cultural context but doesn't really add much to the story. 

I'd be happy to stick with S2, but only to the extent they keep Christine Baranski around.