Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Chronicles of Prydain

Links to our threads on Enchanted (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice through the Looking Glass (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Cruella (in development), Dumbo (in development), Enchanted 2 (in development), Genies (in development), Maleficent 2 (in development), Mulan (in development), Night on Bald Mountain (in development), Pinocchio (in development), Prince Charming (in development), The Sword in the Stone (in development), Tink (in development) and Winnie the Pooh (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

Link to our thread on 'Disney and the Ruination of Great Stories' (Aug 2005), where the 1985 version of The Black Cauldron came up.

-

‘Chronicles of Prydain’ Movie in the Works at Disney (EXCLUSIVE)
Disney has acquired movie rights to the fantasy series “The Chronicles of Prydain” and is in early development on the project, Variety has learned.
The five novels by Lloyd Alexander, based on Welsh mythology, were published annually from 1964 to 1968 and followed the protagonist Taran from youth to maturity. He’s an assistant pig-keeper but initially dreams of being a grand hero.
The books are set in the magical land of Prydain, which resembles ancient Wales and is engaged in a series of battles with Annuvin, the Land of Death. . . .
Sam Dickerman is the Disney executive on the project, which has not yet been set with a producer, director or writer. . . .
Variety, March 17

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Wow, that's exciting. I only ever read The High King in grade 6 but enjoyed it and The Black Cauldron was one of my favourite animated movies as a child.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

I just started reading this series with my boys (10 and 8).  So much potential, even if it is highly derivative of Tolkien.  The kids keep saying, "Oh!  He's like Aragorn!" and "Oh, he's like Gollum!" and we haven't even gotten to Doli yet.

Very, very mixed feelings. Disney has so much to atone for viz. The Black Cauldron

I could write a whole article on my concerns and the things Disney needs to avoid to not screw this up. 

In fact, I just might do that. 

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Whoa, yeah considering the way they completely screwed up Black Cauldron, I'm skeptical. But that was a long time ago.

Loved this series tho, follows quite a similar trope as David Eddings' novels and Robert Jordan but with the sort of feeling of Tolkien meets Stephen Lawhead. Definitely a favorite.

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

Black Cauldron was at a low point in their capabilities though.  Disney had been dead for over a decade (when they would have started production) and they were lost without him.  Added to this, by the time of Cauldron all of the nine old men were gone (I believe) and they were integral to making previous films work, I think this was the studio's first film without any of them.  Some of their great animators and general crew had jumped ship and were working over at Don Bluth's studio.  There was little interest in animation from Hollywood, it was seen as relatively dead.  It was the Littlest Mermaid that started to pull Disney out of the rut, until then it was the Bluth studios, and Steven Spielberg noticing NIMH and then throwing in support for the production of An American Tail that kept feature animation on the map (at least in Hollywood.)

So, that's not to say that Disney could necessarily pull it off, but I would think that they are in a lot better shape to try.