Sign in to follow this  
Joel

After Sixpence

As you may know, Sixpence None the Richer, who have held the coveted title of "My Favorite Band" for at least the last two years (if not the last ten), broke up earlier this year. [some places I've gushed about them: here and here.]

Rumblings from the Sixpence and PFR camps (close-knit, what with a member of PFR and of 6p being married) are surfacing, and if anyone's curious, here's what's happening:

- Leigh Nash is preparing solo material, recently performed with PFR's Joel Hanson on guitar.

- Sixpence has a "Greatest Hits" (w/unreleased stuff) coming out on Oct. 12.

- Matt Slocum (the brains of Sixpence) has formed a band with Charlie Peacock's son Sam Ashworth, Astronaut Pushers.

- PFR is doing an acoustic album, probably for some Christian label.

- Patrick Andrew of PFR just released a great solo record, which Slocum (and others) played on.

the moral: i'm excited.

Forgive the ignorant question: who is PFR?

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Forgiven! PFR is a Christian band that was active from approximately 1992-1997(give or take a reunion album). They never quite made it out of the CCM ghetto, but they were instrumental in providing intelligent pop/rock to mainstream CCM culture. As far as their sound: sort of Beatles/Crowded House/Jellyfish/Posies influenced.

They also held the title "My Favorite Band" from approximately 1994-1998. Here's a link to PFR on All Music Guide. (a site which I see is going to be completely overhauled tomorrow -- should be interesting!)

Matt Slocum also played with Over The Rhine at their Cornerstone gig. I don't know if this was just a one-time thing, or if he will play any more gigs with them.

Thanks for the Sixpence update! I just got the U2 tribute album In the Name of Love and feel like weeping whenever I hear Sixpence's version of "Love is Blindness" -- one of their last recordings. Looking forward to hearing what Leigh and Matt do for followup.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Forgiven! PFR is a Christian band that was active from approximately 1992-1997(give or take a reunion album). They never quite made it out of the CCM ghetto, but they were instrumental in providing intelligent pop/rock to mainstream CCM culture. As far as their sound: sort of Beatles/Crowded House/Jellyfish/Posies influenced.

They also held the title "My Favorite Band" from approximately 1994-1998.

They were one of my favorite bands during that time, too, Joel.

I think PFR had its biggest hit after they'd broken up, when one of the unreleased tracks on its greatest-hits collection proved to be radio-friendly. Funny that I can't remember the name of that song...

I don't think the other obvious connection between the two bands has been mentioned here: PFR's drummer is Leigh Nash's husband.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Ah yes, the song "Forever." Probably the Christian-est PFR song ever.

Their 'comeback' record, Disappear , was great, but it came out right before Squint folded -- essentially killing that album. And killing an LA Symphony album that never even saw the light of day. And severely messing up Sixpence's trajectory. Oh, Steve Taylor, you did so many things right, but you let Squint get away.

The new PFR record should be interesting -- according to Pat, it's acoustic renditions of eight old songs, plus two new ones.

Pardon my intrusion, but wasn't "That Kind of Love" the first AC radio hit they had?

(I only say that because at the time, CCM was mainly - and I assume still - mostly in Adult Contemporary formats on radio).

PFR used to be Pray For Rain, but had to change their name due to legal reasons...

About a decade ago, I worked at a Family Bookstore (here, I said it...I am out of the closet) and Leigh and Mark Nash came into the store. Oddly no one recognized them, but I remember their purchase.

Leslie Phillips Recollections

Over the Rhine Patience

Yeah, I know I know. FBS doesn't carry Leslie (apart from the Famly Values version of the Turning) and OTR, but my team always special ordered them and kept them in stock. Did you know that Linford's brother was a manager during those times? He tried to convince the music buyers to carry Good Dog Bad Dog, but of course them bastards refused.

wasn't "That Kind of Love" the first AC radio hit they had?

Yup. Though that song was actually written by collaborators Gordon Kennedy and Jenny Yates.

I think some stuff from "Pray for Rain" (their first record) made it on the radio, too, or at least the CCM rock shows. That's where I first heard them.

From CMCentral:

Entitled the Best of Sixpence None the Richer, and releasing October 12th, you will find the following songs:

Loser Like Me (new)

Us (new)

Too Far Gone (new)

The Ground You Shook (Roaring Lambs)

Kiss Me (Sixpence None The Richer)

Breathe Your Name (Divine Discontent)

Melody Of You (Divine Discontent)

Dancing Queen (Dick Soundtrack)

Don't Dream It's Over (Divine Discontent)

There She Goes (Sixpence None The Richer)

I Need Love (Here On Earth Soundtrack)

I Just Wasn't Made For These Times (Making God Smile)

Breathe (Streams)

Brighten My Heart (Exodus)

Angeltread (This Beautiful Mess)

Within A Room Somewhere (This Beautiful Mess)

Trust (Reprise) (The Fatherless And The Widow)

Kiss Me (Japanese commercial single version import)

No "Northern Lights"? Now I've got to find a copy of that single...

Edited by Clint M

Unfortunately, Sixpence will go down in history as that christian cover band who sang on cheesy teenage movie soundtracks.

Hmmm... not exactly "the best" of Sixpence None the Richer, now is it?

Highly disappointing tracklisting. Where are the first three songs from their self-titled album? "Love"? "I Can't Catch You"? How about "Paralyzed"? And "Dizzy"?

With a couple of exceptions, maybe, this is just a collection of their most mediocre and/or radio-ready songs. Hardly an accurate representation of who they were as a band.

Partner in Cahoots

www.cahootsmag.com

Hmmm... not exactly "the best" of Sixpence None the Richer, now is it?

Highly disappointing tracklisting. Where are the first three songs from their self-titled album? "Love"? "I Can't Catch You"? How about "Paralyzed"? And "Dizzy"?

With a couple of exceptions, maybe, this is just a collection of their most mediocre and/or radio-ready songs. Hardly an accurate representation of who they were as a band.

Like I said, at least it collects the non-album tracks. (For the most part).

Maybe we'll get an eventual "Sixpence Revisited" box set.

Edited by Clint M

I'm happy to have these all on one collection:

Don't Dream It's Over (Divine Discontent)

There She Goes (Sixpence None The Richer)

But otherwise... sheeeesh, what a misguided representation of their "best." I'll go make my own mix disc, thanks very much.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

If anyone wants to get all five albums (I'm including the EP) for twenty bucks or so, Christianbook.com has them in such a way.

Mega 3 Collection - includes The Fatherless and the Widow; This Beautiful Mess; Tickets for a Prayer Wheel EP for 12.99

The "Super Saver" Pack includes Sixpence None the Richer and Divine Discontent for 3.99 (which is a practical steal.)

Edited by Clint M

But otherwise... sheeeesh, what a misguided representation of their "best." I'll go make my own mix disc, thanks very much.

Have fun with this idea, everyone. Here's a list I compiled of every Sixpence song I could find or think of (w/Leigh Nash solo material):

The Fatherless and the Widow

Field of Flowers

Spotlight

Fatherless and the Widow

Musings

Trust

Falling Leaves

Meaningless

Soul

Apology

Trust (Reprise)

This Beautiful Mess

Angeltread

Love Salvation , The Fear Of Death

Bleeding

Within A Room Somewhere

Melting Alone

Circle Of Error

The Garden

Disconnect

Thought Menagerie

Maybe Tomorrow

Drifting

I Can't Explain

Tickets for a Prayer Wheel (EP)

Within a Room Somewhere [Radio Edit]

Within a Room Somewhere [Demo Version]

Healer

Dresses

Love Letters in the Sand

Carry You

Alisha's First Steps

Solomon the Mystic

(Hidden Track - Love, Salvation, and the Fear of Death Remix)

The Original Demos

Spotlight

The Fatherless & The Widow

Thoughts Of You

Trust

Falling Leaves (live)

Meaningless (live)

Sixpence None the Richer

We Have Forgotten

Anything

The Waiting Room

Kiss Me

Easy To Ignore

Puedo Escribir

I Can't Catch You

The Lines Of My Earth

Sister, Mother

I Won't Stay Long

Love

Moving On

There She Goes

*There are 3 variant CD releases of this album. Variant 1 (the "brown" CD) is the original 1997 release with original album mix and minus "There She Goes." Variant 2 (the "orange" CD) is the 1998 release with additional mixes by Bob Clearmountain. Variant 3 (also an "orange" CD) is the final release with the Bob Clearmountain remixes and the inclusion of the song "There She Goes." Thanks to The Vine for the info.

Divine Discontent

Breathe Your Name

Tonight

Down And Out Of Time

Don't Dream It's Over

Waiting On The Sun

Still Burning

Melody Of You

Paralyzed

I've Been Waiting

Eyes Wide Open

Dizzy

Tension Is A Passing Note

A Million Parachutes

The Best of Sixpence None the Richer (Note: New Songs only)

Loser Like Me

Us

Too Far Gone

B-Sides

Northern Lights

Sad But True

Don't Pass Me By

Deeper - never officially released

Rainy Day Assembly - Tess Wiley on vocals; 6P acting as backup band.

Various Projects - Original Songs

Breathe (Streams)

Brighten My Heart (Exodus)

You're Here (City on a Hill: Songs of Worship and Praise)

Us (Today Show Summer Concert Series 1)

Various Projects - Covers

Silent Night (City on a Hill: It's Christmas Time)

Bouquet (I Predict A Clone: A Steve Taylor Tribute + 7Ball GAS collection #8)

Love is Blindness (In The Name of Love)

Dancing Queen (Dick Soundtrack)

Beautiful Scandalous Night (w/Bebo Norman - City on a Hill: The Gathering)

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch (Collage + Happy Christmas, Vol. 2)

Road to Zion (Never Say Dinosaur)

Every Heartbeat (Full Circle - A Tribute to Charlie Peacock)

It came Upon a Midnight Clear (Maybe This is Christmas, Too)

Goodnight Children Everywhere (For the Kids)

Christmastime is Here (WOW Christmas)

On The Run (Lynne Me Your Ears: A Tribute To The Music Of Jeff Lynne)

Remixes and Radio Edits

I Can't Catch You (Ben Grosse Remix)

I Can't Catch You (Tommy D. Remix Edit)

Love (Ben Grosse Remix)

There She Goes (Ben Grosse Mix)

Kiss Me (Acoustic Version)

Kiss Me (Japanese commercial single version import)

Kiss Me (Instrumental Edit)

Don't Dream It's Over (Edit)

Love (Remix - Bounce Soundtrack)

Love (Mercy Street Remix - Mercy Streets Soundtrack)

The Fatherless and The Widow (REX Music Sampler)

Live Cuts

Kiss Me (Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music, Vol. 3)

Kiss Me (Live In Hollywood 2/12/98 - Kiss Me Single)

Kiss Me (KCRW Morning Becomes Eclectic - Selected On-Air Performances)

Leigh Nash/Bingham solo work

Leigh and Me (w/Starflyer 2000 - Art Core Vol. 1)

Need to Be Next to You (Bounce Soundtrack)

Charmed Life (Uptown Girls Soundtrack)

Run for It (w/Delerium - Chimera)

Orbit of Me (w/Delerium - Chimera)

Innocente (w/Delerium - Poem)

O Holy Night (w/Michael Tate - City on a Hill: It's Christmas Time)

With Every Breath (w/Dan Haseltine - City on a Hill: Songs of Praise and Worship)

Precious Jesus (w/The Choir - City on a Hill: Songs of Praise and Worship)

Kyrie Eleison (w/"Friends" - City on a Hill: The Gathering)

Babe in the Straw (One Silent Night)

In Your Hands (Canticle of the Plains)

Buenas Noches from Nacogdoches (Canticle of the Plains)

The End of the World (w/Los Straitjackets - sing-a-long with Los Straitjackets)

Thanks to this German site for some of the missing info.

Edited by Clint M

Would you also include Leigh's solo track on the Bounce soundtrack?

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I know that one song that was left off of This Beautiful Mess exists on an older Tess Wiley album, but I can't find any info on it.

I'm not sure if you're thinking of "Rainy Day Assembly", but that song has Tess on vox and TBM-era 6p backing her up. It's on the Fluffy vs. Phantasmic CD from Flying Tart Records.

And don't forget "Deeper" -- recorded for Divine Discontent but never officially released.

My "best of" Sixpence:

Field of Flowers

Fatherless and the Widow

Meaningless

Love Salvation , The Fear Of Death

Bleeding

Within A Room Somewhere

Disconnect

Healer

We Have Forgotten

Anything

Love

Moving On

Still Burning

Melody of You

Paralyzed

I've Been Waiting

Too Far Gone

Here's a list I compiled of every Sixpence song I could find or think of:

Just want to point out that Ms. Sam Phillips wrote and released "I Need Love" long before Sixpence got their hands on it. tongue.gif It is not a bad cover, but it is definitely not one of their original songs.

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Here's a list I compiled of every Sixpence song I could find or think of:

Just want to point out that Ms. Sam Phillips wrote and released "I Need Love" long before Sixpence got their hands on it. tongue.gif It is not a bad cover, but it is definitely not one of their original songs.

Yeah, I found that out. I thought I had fixed the list, but I guess I didn't upload the newest edition of it.