Small Town Movies

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alternative takes: Boys Don't Cry, Brokeback Mountain, Texas Chainsaw Massacre?!

Sorry - couldn't help myself!

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Alternative takes: Boys Don't Cry, Brokeback Mountain, Texas Chainsaw Massacre?!

Sorry - couldn't help myself!

Add to that Blue Velvet.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Aye, I did ponder on Lynch for a minute but was thinking about Twin Peaks as I ::blush:: haven't seen Blue Velvet *hides head in shame*

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Can you elaborate? I can think of a couple bits that are indecorous, small-town-wise, but given that it's a broad comedy, nothing comes to mind that would make it a "dead wrong" depiction of a certain sub-subculture (i.e. Midwest village theater types).

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Can you elaborate? I can think of a couple bits that are indecorous, small-town-wise, but given that it's a broad comedy, nothing comes to mind that would make it a "dead wrong" depiction of a certain sub-subculture (i.e. Midwest village theater types).

I'm married to a Midwest theater type, and there is nothing about the film's portrayal of them that is the least bit accurate, from what I can see.

In a previous discussion on WfG, someone opined that the film can't make up its mind whether to be a sweet little comedy or a scorched-earth satire, and it ends up doing a lousy job of both.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

In a previous discussion on WfG, someone opined that the film can't make up its mind whether to be a sweet little comedy or a scorched-earth satire, and it ends up doing a lousy job of both.

I'll need to remember that when I defend my lacklustre impression of the film from those who think it's the funniest thing ever.

Back to the topic at hand, what about Junebug?

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Friday Night Lights (both the movie and the TV series)

The Miracle at Morgan's Creek (kinda)

It's a Wonderful Life (of COURSE!)

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

• 4 months later...

Places in the Heart

To Kill a Mockingbird

Housekeeping

The Shipping News

A number of "underdog sports team" movies are also set in small towns and touch on those themes (Friday Night Lights has been mentioned):

The Rookie

Remember the Titans

Glory Road

Hoosiers

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Housekeeping

Housekeeping was made into a movie?! I had no idea! ... I'm going to have to look into that.

Back to the topic. A number of alien movies are small-town themed. They seem to be idea for para-normal experiences...or perhaps small towns were a nice divergence to the classic War of the Worlds theme "big scary aliens completely destroy the densely-populated city".

*Signs

*ET

*Close Encounters of the Third Kind (I think that Muncie, IN counts as small-town. It might be a college town, but it certainly has a small-town mentality, and it's completely surrounded by fields...and to think I used to live 31 miles outside Muncie...)

Edited by ruthie
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Consider this a sequel to my other thread about WWII movies. This is broader, since my topic is broader, but I'm interested in compiling a list of movies about small towns--not just set in small towns, mind, but somehow about them in their character as small towns. My dissertation is confined to the United States, so the following list is, too. Here's what I've got; some of them I have, some of them I've watched, and some of them I've just heard about:

Blue Velvet

By Love Possessed

I Married a Doctor

It’s a Wonderful Life

Kings Row

Little Boy

Peyton Place

Return to Peyton Place

Salems Lot

Shadow of a Doubt

Suddenly (1954 Sinatra Movie)

The Best Years of Our Lives

The Ox-Bow Incident

The Thin Man Goes Home

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me

Whistle Stop

I am particularly interested in movies that seem to argue that small towns constitute a microcosm of America itself (thus, the frontier town in The Ox-Bow Incident). I'm also pretty much confining my interests to movies, since a list of TV shows set in small towns would be too long (Murder, She Wrote, Smallville, Twin Peaks, Happy Town, Wandering Pines, The Returned, etc etc etc).

Internationally, I have a much much smaller list:

Springtime in a Small Town (China)

Ten Days Wonder (France)

Three Undelivered Letters (Japan)

I note that Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town has had two Canadian tv adaptations.

Edited by NBooth