Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter T Chattaway

Queen of Katwe

6 posts in this topic

David Oyelowo (Selma, Captive) plays a real life soccer-player-turned-missionary named Robert Katende, who runs the Kampala branch of the evangelical ministry Sports Outreach, which is based in Lynchburg, Virginia (home of the Falwells! -- which might just be a coincidence, but anyhoo).

This film is directed by Mira Nair, who previously directed a short documentary about Katende called A Fork, a Spoon and a Knight. I posted that documentary, as well as a couple of documentaries about the girl who is the main character in this film, here.

The question now is whether the film will give due acknowledgement to the religious elements of this story. With Oyelowo involved, I have hope that it will, but you never know.
Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The trailer looks pretty typically inspirational, Disney sports film, but Nair's involvement makes me curious (in addition to Oyelowo and Nyong'o). I adore MONSOON WEDDING and think THE NAMESAKE is a pretty solid film too.

I asked Katende and Mutesi if they thought the film downplayed faith aspects and they said "no,"

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2016/september-web-only/god-cannot-forget-someone.html

Any time Hollywood makes movies about Christians, it is inevitable that questions will arise about whether the faith content is played down to make the film more palatable to a mass audience. Both Mutesi and Katende confirmed that they were satisfied with the way the film depicts their faith. The latter refers to himself as a “relational evangelist” who “does not compromise other people’s faith” or tell them how to act. “I know I can be a blessing,” he says, and he believes he has exercised a greater spiritual influence through service than he might through preaching.

On 9/3/2016 at 5:02 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

I appreciated watching the featurette after seeing this movie. The soccer-player-turned-missionary was as much the hero as the young woman. To me the presence of faith in the film was uplifting in the best sense of the word.

Edited by phlox