NBooth

Film Club 2016: Revenge of the Film Club

Anders   
1 hour ago, Peter T Chattaway said:

NBooth wrote:
: No idea how copyright works with Cold War-era Soviet films.

Officially, I believe copyright was considered irredeemably capitalist, which is why the Soviets produced adaptations of Winnie-the-Pooh without any authorization from Disney or the A.A. Milne estate. I don't know if modern-day Russia has retroactively copyrighted any of the Cold War-era stuff, though.

I suppose this explains why most of the products of Mosfilm, including most of Tarkovsky's films, are available in pretty decent versions on their YouTube channel.

Attica   

So are we going with Repentance then?  Is it a go to set up it's own thread?

NBooth   

I'd say it's your call, but it seems to be a go.

Attica   

K.   I'll get right on it.

Andrew   

I apologize for the short notice, but I'm going to have to bail on October.  My already-existing commitments on top of a new job search have me a bit swamped.  Sorry...

NBooth   

Anyone want to step in and full the gap? I've got ideas, but none of them are particularly Octoberish. EDIT: Strike that. I do have an Octoberish idea that's out on Criterion disc, and that's The Blob (1958). I have thoroughly selfish reasons for suggesting it (small-town, 1958--right in the date-range for my dissertation, so I'll be watching it anyway, and soon), so I'm not married to it or anything. If anyone has another idea, we can go with that.

EDIT: Updated list:

June Ryan H. Tokyo Drifter

July NBooth 49th Parallel

August Joel Ten

September Attica  Repentance

October ?

November Rushmore

December Evan C.

Edited by NBooth

Evan C   

I'm going to be quasi-swamped, come the beginning of December, so I would be willing to go now. However, I would have to rethink the Christmas-themed movies I had been considering, but that would be fine.

Edited by Evan C

NBooth   
1 minute ago, Evan C said:

I'm going to be quasi-swamped, come the beginning of December, so I would be willing to now. However, I would have to rethink the Christmas-themed movies I had been considering, but that would be fine.

Since everyone is going to be quasi-swamped around then, it might not be a bad idea to consider a month-long hiatus around December, anyway, and picking back up in January. So if you want to do October, we could theoretically leave December as a question mark / open slot.

NBooth   

giphy.gif

Edited by NBooth

Evan C   

Since this is kind of last minute, I'm going to throw out a bunch of ideas.

My initial plan was to pick something by Jacques Demy - either The Umbrellas of Cherbourg or The Young Girls of Rochefort - and I could still go that route if others are interested.

However, keeping in mind October is horror film month, let me know what you think of these possibilities.

Onibaba - #25 on our horror film list, and it seems a lot of people haven't seen it. It's available on Hulu, but I think that's it.

Perfect Blue - directed by Satoshi Kon (Paprika), a great, psychedelic tribute to Silence of the Lambs and Psycho, with possible foreshadowings of Black Swan. Unfortunately, I can't find it available for streaming anywhere, so that probably won't work.

Cache - a brilliant Hitchcock homage, which is available for streaming, but if most of us have seen it, let's do something else.

Scarlet Street - Fritz Lang, one of the greatest film noirs. Has anyone seen it?

And I could always go for Heathers, which I think is a perfect satire/horror film, and the best high school comedy ever made.

Finally, I've never seen The Blob, but I would be willing to do that, if that's what others want.

Evan, if you're looking for feedback, my votes are The Blob or Scarlet Street.

Fun story: I've never seen The Blob, but somehow as a kid I received a book version, which I read multiple times. Gave me nightmares, but I kept coming back to it for some reason.

Also, I keep typing "The Blog" out of muscle memory/habit.

NBooth   

Out of the list you post I'd be interested in Onibaba and Perfect Blue--though if the latter isn't streaming, there's a difficulty there. 

Edited by NBooth

NBooth   

I've never seen Scarlet Street, so I would also be interested in that one. 

Evan C   

I was leaning toward Scarlet Street anyway, and it seems like everyone's interested in that, so I'll set up a thread for it this weekend.

Rushmore   

I haven't been around here much for the last few months and I don't think I've even posted in any of the film club threads, but for the record I'm still on board with this (and with selecting a film for next month). I'll watch Scarlet Street tonight, if I can.

Brian D   

For a future month' film club, would anyone consider choosing Monsieur Vincent considering that :

A. It was #1 on our mercy top 25.

B. There has been almost no group discussion about why it placed at #1 or what A & F voters like about it (with the exception of SDG's blurb and, I think, his own site's review).  

C. It is well worth watching again even if you've seen it previously.  

NBooth   

Hey, everyone, we've got an opening for a November film club selection, so if anyone has any ideas toss 'em out here.

On 10/28/2016 at 2:37 AM, Brian D said:

For a future month' film club, would anyone consider choosing Monsieur Vincent considering that :

A. It was #1 on our mercy top 25.

B. There has been almost no group discussion about why it placed at #1 or what A & F voters like about it (with the exception of SDG's blurb and, I think, his own site's review).  

C. It is well worth watching again even if you've seen it previously.  

Perhaps we should go with this idea (so says the guy who is now two months behind in Film Club viewing).

NBooth   
1 minute ago, John Drew said:

Perhaps we should go with this idea (so says the guy who is now two months behind in Film Club viewing).

Let's do that, then. I'll set up a thread tomorrow. 

Since I plan to participate in "Noirvember," which appears to be a thing in cineaste circles, perhaps we could simply designate the November Film Club thread to that?

We could pick out, say, six or so different noir films for the month and then work through them in group discussion as we get to them gradually over the month? More adventurous users could, of course, watch more than just the six designated films and record their comments there as well.

I know we just discussed a classic noir, but, hey, you really can't have enough noir.

NBooth   

I like this idea, too. And it might allow our conversation to range more freely than it has in the past.

I'm in for Noirvember as well. In speaking with Ryan and Nathaniel about it, the film we thought would be a great place to start is Welles' The Lady From Shanghai