Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

The Little Mermaid (live-action version)

Links to our threads on Disney's The Little Mermaid (1989), Universal's The Little Mermaid (in development) and Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale (in development).

Links to our Disney-live-action-films-based-on-animated-films threads on Enchanted (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice through the Looking Glass (2016), Pete's Dragon (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), The Chronicles of Prydain (in development), Cruella (in development), Dumbo (in development), Enchanted 2 (in development), The Jungle Book 2 (in development), Genies (in development), Maleficent 2 (in development), Mulan (in development), Night on Bald Mountain (in development), Peter Pan (in development), Pinocchio (in development), Prince Charming (in development), The Sword in the Stone (in development), Tink (in development) and Winnie the Pooh (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

- - -

Disney Mulling Over Live Action Version Of ‘The Little Mermaid’
EXCLUSIVE: Execs at Disney are in the early stages of reviving Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid as a live action feature. Disney production chiefs recently heard a new take and are currently evaluating whether to proceed with the idea. Deadline understands that initial discussions have also taken place with some major producers, including some with a strong connection to the studio.
The Little Mermaid holds special significance for the Mouse House, which previously produced an animated version of the story in 1989. That pic, which followed the adventures of Ariel the singing mermaid, gave viewers classic songs such as Under The Sea and helped usher in a new golden age of animation at Disney. That streak would include Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin.  The teaser for Disney’s live action version of Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson, was viewed almost 92 million times in its first 24 hours alone this week, beating the previous record holder for most viewed teaser Star Wars: The Force Awakens, as well as the latest installments of Marvel titles Captain America: Civil War and Avengers: Age of Ultron, all of which are Disney movies.
That, along with the sensational performance of The Jungle Book– with a worldwide gross to date of $860 million- has buoyed Disney execs to look through their back catalogue for more live action adaptations. . . .
Deadline.com, May 25

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I would love to see how they handle the underwater scenes. I'm trying to think of movies other than Chow's Mermaid, which has terrible special effects of mermaids underwater, that depict underwater scenes with people not in wetsuits that look good, and not just like a few second scenes at a time but the kind of sweeping shots of the underwater kingdom we are going to want. Basically can they really make it look right? I feel like this might be a moment of special effects wizardry that defined movies like Star Wars or Jurassic Park that put them light-years ahead of their peers. 

"The truth is you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin Ringo, I'm tryin real hard to be the shepherd." Pulp Fiction

Justin's Blog twitter Facebook Life Is Story

‘Hamilton’s Lin-Manuel Miranda & Alan Menken Duet On Disney’s Live Action ‘The Little Mermaid’
EXCLUSIVE: Disney is pairing Hamilton‘s Lin-Manuel Miranda with iconic songwriter Alan Menken for a live action feature adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid. Miranda and Menken will write the music together. Marc Platt will produce the film along with Miranda, in a configuration just set by Sean Bailey, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production. Deadline revealed in May that Disney was figuring out a way to add the classic title to a slate of films based on the studio’s animated films. This one is being orchestrated as a mix of pre-existing songs from the 1989 Disney animated classic movie, for which Menken won two Oscars, sharing Best Song with Howard Ashman, and winning Best Score on his own. Menken has eight Oscars in his storied career.
While Miranda has become all the rage since his record breaking Broadway show Hamilton became the hottest ticket and won 11 Tony Awards, he has a soft spot for The Little Mermaid, even naming his newborn son Sebastian, after the crab in the musical. They are still working out a lot of details, including the level of Miranda’s involvement. At this point, he isn’t writing the script, but he will supervise the story and the studio will hire a writer shortly. This extends Miranda’s relationship with Disney, where he is starring with Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep and Ben Whishaw in a live action sequel of Mary Poppins to be directed by Rob Marshall. That film is being produced by Platt, who is also readying the long awaited adaptation of the hit musical Wicked at Universal. Miranda also worked on the upcoming Disney animated feature Moana, which bows November 23. . . .
Deadline.com, August 16

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.