Sign in to follow this  
NBooth

Untitled Wong Kar Wai web series

NBooth   

The Hollywood Reporter:

The 57-year-old filmmaker, renowned for his artful kung fu flicks (The Grandmaster) and moody dramas (In the Mood for Love), has signed a deal with Huanxi Media Group to produce and co-direct an 18-episode original drama series for digital distribution in China and around the world.

Huanxi has agreed to spend $3.10 million-$3.85 million (20 million-25 million RMB) per episode, a lavish production budget by Chinese internet drama standards. The show will have two seasons — one with 12 episodes, the other with six — with the first season expected to complete production in 2017. Casting and story details were not disclosed.

Links to our threads on:

Ferryman

Happy Together

Ashes of Time

The Grandmaster

Days of Being Wild

My Blueberry Nights

...And I think that's all our WKW-centric threads, though I'm certain he comes up elsewhere.

Edited by NBooth

I hope we get a fine English-language version of this.

Given Wong's penchant for editing material into new shapes, I wouldn't be surprised if a feature film emerges from this project.

NBooth   

Buried in an article about Amazon's shift in priorities regarding their original shows is this:

In an interview on Friday, Price told Variety that there is a new focus on finding “big shows that can make the biggest difference around the world” in growing Amazon Video’s reach and Amazon Prime subscribers. “Tong Wars,” the drama penned by Paul Attanasio and directed by Wong, is a prime example of a period piece that blends the epic history of Chinese immigration to the U.S. with a crime potboiler. “It’s a very compelling show,” he said.