Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

New 2k Restoration of The Decalogue

CriterionCast:

Later this month, MK2 will tour the new 2K restorations of Krzysztof Kieślowski’s The Decalogue.

The Film Stage:

If you’ve taken the hours-long journey into Krzysztof Kieślowski‘s The Decalogue, you’ve probably seen a less-than-great-looking copy on DVD or through, let’s say, “other means.” One probably doesn’t consider this a huge injustice — just as one probably doesn’t consider Kieślowski the most visually lush filmmaker — but consider and compare it with the divine experience of seeing the Three Colors trilogy or The Double Life of Véronique on Criterion’s Blu-rays. A bit better than some early-2000s DVD, undoubtedly.

It’s now clear that the late master’s ten-part television series / epic film (definite it however you’d like) is getting the same treatment, and, if long-standing rumors are true, likely (soon) from the same company — despite actually stemming from MK2, who will begin theatrically screening their restoration this month. There’s thus a preview, and it doesn’t disappoint; as a matter of fact, this, however brief, is clearly as good as any copy I’ve ever seen, and perhaps better than I had any right to expect.

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

People actually consider 2K remasterings "restorations" these days? I thought all restorations started at 4K nowadays (and some go as high as 8K).

We had a *ton* of threads on The Decalogue back in 2003, in the 'Featured Film Discussions' forum -- one for each episode, plus several other threads -- so there's really no single thread that I can "ahem" to. I would not object if this became our standard Dekalog thread from here on, though.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

On June 9, 2016 at 9:38 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

People actually consider 2K remasterings "restorations" these days? I thought all restorations started at 4K nowadays (and some go as high as 8K).

According to Criterion's page, it has a 4K digital restoration. 

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Tyler wrote:
: According to Criterion's page, it has a 4K digital restoration. 

Ah, so they probably restored it in 4K and then scaled it back to 2K for the theatrical release (because most theatres only have 2K projectors).

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I'm not sure whether there's a better spot to continue a discussion about Dekalog, but in the absence of being pointed to a more appropriate home for this, I'm sharing my recent article about "Lenten Reflections from Dekalog" in which I explore each episode in the series in relation to the Gospels and specifically the parables: https://3brothersfilm.com/blog/2020/4/10/lenten-reflections-from-dekalog-1989

I'm sure there are a lot of reflections and perhaps corrections of my interpretations that you all here could bring to a discussion of the films, so I'm sharing here in hopes that some more thoughtful interpretation is brought to light.

From my intro:

I revisited Dekalog this year as part of my Lenten reflections. When the COVID-19 pandemic arrived in the midst of Lent, forcing the entire world to rethink what is essential, I took the opportunity of a pause in normal life to ponder some of the lessons of Dekalog and how the 10 films interact with the Gospels and particularly Christ’s teaching to his disciples.

Hope you all find something meaningful in it.

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com