The Amazing Race

CrimsonLine

spoilers1.gif

Christie, Christie, Christie, can we talk? Seriously? Because I'm worried about you, girl. Just make a clean break, run, and don't look back.

Last night's incident in the jail was totally outrageous. Colin screaming at the cab driver. Colin screaming at the police officer. Colin telling the officer to bring his country's president to the police station. Colin trying to storm out of the station because he was through dealing with them. Colin demanding to know if everyone speaks English (kudos to the cop who asked him if he speaks Swahili). Colin actually saying, "hakuna matada." Colin throwing the money. Colin yelling at Christie for "making things worse" and not supporting him. Colin saying he "wants a different kind of relationship."

And then Chrisite saying she "never should have been mad at him." sad.gif

Edited by Diane

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

spoilers1.gif

Christie, Christie, Christie, can we talk? Seriously? Because I'm worried about you, girl. Just make a clean break, run, and don't look back.

... And then Chrisite saying she "never should have been mad at him." sad.gif

Amen, sister. We all groaned when she uttered her "apology."

They've become my most-hated team, but only because of Colin. Christy seems like a decent enough person. I hope she outgrows that guy.

My allegiances have shifted to Chip and Kim. I like them, although it's basically Chip, Chip, Chip. Kim doesn't usually do much, as she admitted a couple of episodes ago.

OH! -- what about Kim and Nicole, both commenting on their significant others' free-spending tendencies? My wife, who manages our household finances, gave me a look during those exchanges...

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Well my fondness and apologetic stance for Colin and Christie is waning (and will probably continue to do so having seen the preview of next week's show).

I still have no affection for the Christians, I still don't like the Moms, and I still hope for the Twins to hang themselves with their own idiocy.

Chip and Kim are at the front for me now. And I really think that the editing only makes it look like Kim isn't doing her part. Chip is a very strong-minded individual, and there are a couple of types of those when it comes to relationships. There are the kind, like Colin, who want the support for his own glory. Then there are the kind, that Chip seems to be, who are strong but rely on their partner for much of that strength and share it back with them. Think about it, he may be the one doing most of the visible stuff, but she is always right there beside him. She can hold her own, and probably holds him up too. I have really witnessed a great relationship between the two of them. Chip just happens to be the most "television-ready" of the pair.

As for Colin, no defense what-so-ever -- only a comment. 10 years ago that was me. I used to have to be in the right, and I'd get so frustrated if other people didn't see things my way. My attitude probably came from being the young one who could never get a word in edgewise. Not being listened to is still my biggest pet peeve, but it doesn't inflame me near like it used to. Hopefully he'll change. I did, but it took my wife as the catalyst for it to happen. But I related to what he was feeling. I understand his mindset that we'll probably see more of in the next show. I just don't agree with it.

spoilers1.gif

...And then Chrisite saying she "never should have been mad at him."  sad.gif

Devastating. I was sad for Christie in a way I rarely am for reality TV show people. She has placed herself in a situation where she has lost the ability to stand up for herself, and receive dignified treatment. The fact that she stays with Colin is her own issue, but I am still very sad for her. She was in the right - and though that does not excuse all actions, nothing she did in the episode (at least what we saw) crossed the line.

OH! -- what about Kim and Nicole, both commenting on their significant others' free-spending tendencies? My wife, who manages our household finances, gave me a look during those exchanges...

Hee! Mine, too. Although these days, we have no money to freely spend. But that's life in Seminary for ya.

Chip and Kim are at the front for me now.  And I really think that the editing only makes it look like Kim isn't doing her part.

Exactly my impression. They are a good team. I am still rooting for the Christian Dating/Models - because Models NEED OUR SUPPORT! smile.gif but Chip and Kim are a cool pair.

I still hope for the Twins to hang themselves with their own idiocy.

I loved it last night: "The other teams all take the time to analyze the clue..." No, KammiKarli (whichever!) they just READ the clue, and UNDERSTAND it. Not much analysis going on. Frankly, not much analysis needed. Just reading comprehension!

Other notes:

• "Do you speak English?" "Yes - do you speak Swahili?" BANG! ZOOM! YOW!
  • Nicole seems to be coming undone, a bit. On Television Without Pity, they call it "Killer Fatigue", the point at which the Race has worn you down to the point where your attitude is killed, and you can't go on. I am not sure if she's there all the way yet, but I am afraid the bell is tolling.
  • Sad that we had to see Mirna again - but it's for almost the last time, so I'm okay.
  • I loved Phil's egg puns in the recap!
  • "Who will be eliminated...NEXT?" no longer spoils the ending of the show. Yay! Suspense! (although, the fact that there are only TWO elimination rounds left before the finale, and there are two teams to be eliminated before then means you can pretty much count on the next one being non-elim, too)
All in all, a great ep - and next week, we get to see KarliKammi as prostitutes! Yeck. Edited by crimsonline
In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Can anyone tell why my quotes above are not being formatted correctly? I used the interface's Quote button and everything!

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

Can anyone tell why my quotes above are not being formatted correctly? I used the interface's Quote button and everything!

I think it's because of the spaces around the "=" before names in the quote boxes. That's about as clear as mud, so let's try this:

QUOTE=Diane (correct)

QUOTE = Diane (won't work)

Take out the spaces and see if that does the trick.

The BIG question for next week:

spoilers1.gif

What team will have to shave their heads?! Will models be willing to do that? Heck, I think I'd just have to come in last. wink.gif

Chip and Kim are at the front for me now. And I really think that the editing only makes it look like Kim isn't doing her part.

Exactly my impression.

To clarify, I based my earlier remarks on what Kim herself had said a couple of episodes ago, something like, "I haven't been pulling my weight." But yeah, the editing can be deceptive.

On that note, I was sure -- sure -- that the two teams driving across the desert were way ahead of the twins, although the editing made it look like the twins were in hot pursuit. "That's just the editing" I assured my wife and friend, who were wondering aloud which of the three teams would make it to the finish line first. "The twins are probably 45 minutes behind the other two teams," I said.

Then we saw the shot of the two jeeps, with the parachuting girls heading for a landing nearby! No editing tricks there. I was wrong.

But I was happy that the twins still came in last. wink.gif

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I think it's because of the spaces around the "=" before names in the quote boxes. ...

Take out the spaces and see if that does the trick.

Thanks, Diane! I had changed one, but not the others, and I guess they all have to be right for any of them to work.

spoilers1.gif

What team will have to shave their heads?! Will models be willing to do that? Heck, I think I'd just have to come in last. wink.gif

I turned to Karina and said, "I hope it's BRANDON!" smile.gif

On that note, I was sure -- sure -- that the two teams driving across the desert were way ahead of the twins, although the editing made it look like the twins were in hot pursuit. "That's just the editing" I assured my wife and friend, who were wondering aloud which of the three teams would make it to the finish line first. "The twins are probably 45 minutes behind the other two teams," I said.

Then we saw the shot of the two jeeps, with the parachuting girls heading for a landing nearby! No editing tricks there. I was wrong.

The editing in this episode was SUPERB. The tension was huge, and that shot of the SUV's coming in with the skydiver in the background made it all snap together.

spoilers1.gif

What team will have to shave their heads?! Will models be willing to do that? Heck, I think I'd just have to come in last.

Edited by Diane

The editing in this episode was SUPERB. The tension was huge, and that shot of the SUV's coming in with the skydiver in the background made it all snap together.

Yeah, I'd have to say that this last episode was the best one of the season thus far. From "Colin goes to Jail" to the editing to that particular shot you mention.

ALERT!

The Amazing Race airs tomorrow night at 9 p.m., not 10.

The 10-11 p.m. hour will focus on a race of a different sort, but you might want to choose a "detour" during that hour. sleeping.gif

Thanks, Christian, for the heads-up!

Thanks for the heads-up, although I have TiVo, so I never would have noticed...

snerk. snerk.

Yikes!!

spoilers1.gif

We almost lost Brandon and Nicole -- and they almost lost their HAIR!!

It makes sense to me that they wouldn't do that Fast Forward -- their hair IS their livelihoods, for certain. That doesn't make me any less disappointed. I'd have loved to see them bald, and I really want to see them win. With the time hit they've taken here, it'll take some kind of activity in the next leg that opens the next morning, forcing the teams to be bunched up. And what are the odds THAT will happen??

huh.gif

Anyhow. Colin continues his jerko ways. The twins continue being mildly-to-severely incompetent. The Moms continue to be annoying. And Chip continues to be pleasant and compelling.

It'll be interesting to see how far behind B&N are. The penalty of not getting any money next leg (in INDIA!!) will hurt them. And they won't go hooking for money, like the Twins did.

On another note, that waterslide looked AWESOME!! Chip really filled that thing.

smile.gif

Anyway. Thanks to the RNC, I got to see the Race on its regularly-scheduled day. Yet another reason to vote Republican!!

tongue.gif

spoilers1.gif

Major relief that Brandon and Nicole are still in the game. They really handled themselves well last night in the face of probable elimination. That was some serious suspense when they decided to make a break for the fast-forward.

A few observations:

Saris are sooooo pretty.

Women are always groped on trains in India. I seem to remember the show going there before, and all the women were being grabbed. Sheesh.

The twins: "We'll massage your shoulders for money." Sheesh again.

Yet another incident involving cab fare and a security guard! Who'll get involved in a dispute next week?

Edited by Diane

Yet another incident involving cab fare and a security guard! Who'll get involved in a dispute next week?

Well, I'm not sure who, but somebody's gonna have an interesting moment on next week's episode. That episode's title is: "If They're Screwing The Helmet to My Head, That Can't Be Good."

For the record, last night's episode was titled "If You're Gonna Whine, Just Shut Up!" which, I guess, referred to the two moms?

Edited by Christian

Ya'll know my feelings on Colin, so I won't blather on about him (or the fact that I pegged him as a jerk early on ... headbang.gif )

At this point I don't want them eliminated because of Colin ... in fact it's somewhat amusing watching the guy's ego burst into rage beyond the confines of my little TV screen ... rather, I want them eliminated because it's downright painful watching Christie act as his doormat. Kim had Colin pegged when she called him "abusive" last week, and Christie is the classic abused spouse, e.g. making excuses for his temper, blaming herself for not supporting him ... oh gosh, it's heartbreaking wathcing that go on. And in the promo for next week, Phil says Christie finally grows a backbone, while she is shown saying in a polite, non-offensive tone, "Colin, you've got to listen to me when I tell you which directions are on the map." ohmy.gif That's a backbone?? Girlfriend, you need to swing that backpack into the guy's gut (or lower).

Also curious about why folks here dislike the bowling moms so much ... from what I've seen they haven't done anything terribly unethical (save for the alleged lying incident with Jim/Marsha -- still my favorite team, sad.gif ) which was never really followed up on, so I'm suspicious whether they lied or there was a perception gap going on. And the moms have managed to stay in the game despite being the obvious underdogs (except maybe for the pizza brothers). I haven't found the moms particularly annoying.

In fact, the one who's started to annoy me is Nicole ... glad as I was they stayed in the race last night, I couldn't have been as patient as Brandon is with her. From her whining about being fleeced by cab drivers because she's an American (yeah, an American PLAYING A GAME WITH CBS's MONEY!!), to refusing to cut her hair (modeling, schmodeling ... the stuff does grow back, ya know ... and think of all the attention two bald, Christian models could reap in the game's aftermath wink.gif ) ... I don't know, I was having some very UN-Christian thoughts about what I'd say to Nicole had she led me to the Fast Forward only to refuse to cut her hair, then back to the brick-making exercise, for a cool last-place finish. angry.gif

May I borrow Diane's phrase and offer a "Sheesh."

Of course, my wife heartily disagreed with me -- "Only a MAN would say that about hair!" So I offered, "Brandon's a better man than I," and you know what? She didn't disagree. unsure.gif

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

As for Colin, no defense what-so-ever -- only a comment.  10 years ago that was me.  I used to have to be in the right, and I'd get so frustrated if other people didn't see things my way.  My attitude probably came from being the young one who could never get a word in edgewise.  Not being listened to is still my biggest pet peeve, but it doesn't inflame me near like it used to.  Hopefully he'll change.  I did, but it took my wife as the catalyst for it to happen.  But I related to what he was feeling.  I understand his mindset that we'll probably see more of in the next show.  I just don't agree with it.

Good observation (I missed this last week when I was on vacation ... but back at work now, and working diligently as you can all see tongue.gif ). As the youngest of four kids, I can relate to that kind of frustration, too, i.e. not being listened to.

Maybe I'm a cynic but I don't get the sense that that's the source of Colin's rage, though. It seems more like he's always the one who is listened to, and he can't handle the fact that someone else might be right. And do you notice who he unleashes his rage on? People who aren't likely to fight back, or if they do, aren't likely to win. His woman, for one. And the way he treats people IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY is shameful ... he fulfills every stereotype of a dumb-ass, arrogant American. In short, he's a bully.

Did anyone else notice his smirky comment in the cab last night about Calcutta being a beautiful place to see the human condition? Loved Christie's disgusted reaction. I just wished she'd jumped out of the cab and gone all Mother Teresa, leaving him to team up with the dumb-dumb twins.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

First of all, let me just say how much I love our little recap group here on this thread. I'll be sad when it's over in a few weeks.

And in the promo for next week, Phil says Christie finally grows a backbone, while she is shown saying in a polite, non-offensive tone, "Colin, you've got to listen to me when I tell you which directions are on the map."
Edited by Diane

First of all, let me just say how much I love our little recap group here on this thread. I'll be sad when it's over in a few weeks.

sad.gif Me, too. Let's just hope CBS doesn't make us wait a whole year for the next installment.

Yeah, I can see how the bowling moms' squeals can get annoying! But the weird thing about the lying episode is that Jim and Marsha made the claim, but we never saw what or how the bowling moms said to them ... in later episodes there hasn't been any hint they've lied to anyone. It just seems the editors would have shown us something to back up the other team's claim about them lying, if they had actually lied. So it makes me wonder if there wasn't something innocent said that was misinterpreted by Jim and Marsha.

OK, I'll stop the Colin-bashing too, but yeah, he did say "you're killing me here" when Christie pointed out Chip had taken the lead. Sheesh again.

As for Brandon, he has been a model Christian (pun?? ha ha, didn't even realize until after I'd typed the words). Very unusual for reality TV, where the Christians are usually the biggest jerks.

But the weird thing about the lying episode is that Jim and Marsha made the claim, but we never saw what or how the bowling moms said to them ... in later episodes there hasn't been any hint they've lied to anyone. It just seems the editors would have shown us something to back up the other team's claim about them lying, if they had actually lied. So it makes me wonder if there wasn't something innocent said that was misinterpreted by Jim and Marsha.

The other possibility is that no camera happened to catch it; I'll bet this happens more frequently than you'd think. A camera can only point in one direction at a time, after all, and there is one camera per team. If even one camera is shooting "atmosphere" shots, of the airport, or planes, of locals, etc. then you have the distinct possibility that important things will happen that do not make it to film.

As for Brandon, he has been a model Christian (pun?? ha ha, didn't even realize until after I'd typed the words). Very unusual for reality TV, where the Christians are usually the biggest jerks.

Yeah - it's funny, the recapper on Television Without Pity is constantly griping how she is being forced to LIKE this Christian couple, almost against her will! Brandon's personality (and looks) and the way the two of them interact has led the recapper to comment time and again how healthy their relationship seems, and how good they are for each other. And, not incidentally, how good they are TO each other.

I've missed a few episodes this race, but happily caught last night. I agree with what's been said already about Colin, Brandon and Nicole, groping on trains, etc.

Coupla quick things...

-a recurring theme in this race (and in previous ones to a lesser degree) is cab fare disputes. Funny last night that the moms didn't take the time to distinguish between 45 dinar and 45 dollars, but is this not remarkable how often it comes up? I would think there would be a way to pre-negotiate taxi fares -- maybe get a local to help negotiate, or something.

-I half-expected 1 or 2 teams to quibble with the Hindu elements of the show, but B&N reacted to the haircut, not the ritual... and the "good luck" ceremony on the river was evidently no big deal. Ditto the red paint on the forehead. (Remember the 'car burning' scene in Japan a few races ago where someone prayed for God to forgive them for the pagan nature of it?)

-Notice the (presumably Islamic) police officer shrink back when one of the twins offered a hug? Oops!

-As for getting money in India... surely there would be other tourists there, and many of them would be aware of the Amazing Race. Head to a nearby hotel, or something. It doesn't look like they really use much cash anyway.

-And why -- WHY?? -- would you ever saunter up to the welcome mat like B&N did? Seconds sometimes count the next day... just get there ASAP!!

Good to have a moment to contribute -- I'm trying to keep up with the board, but haven't had more than a few minutes to scan your comments until now. Thanks for the updates!

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

The other possibility is that no camera happened to catch it; I'll bet this happens more frequently than you'd think. A camera can only point in one direction at a time, after all, and there is one camera per team. If even one camera is shooting "atmosphere" shots, of the airport, or planes, of locals, etc. then you have the distinct possibility that important things will happen that do not make it to film.

Yeah, I'd thought about that, the only catch being that why would the moms pick only Jim and Marsha to lie to? And if they were also lying to others, why wouldn't the cameras pick up some of that, or why wouldn't we hear at least one other team complain that the moms were scheming? Ah well, the film editor has all the power, doesn't he? And all the answers!

Tim, great observations about the cultural stuff going on, particularly the twins trying to hug the police officer! I missed that completely.