The announcement of the first batch of special features and galas makes me feel out of the loop a little, but, hey, I'll be there:

http://assets.contentful.com/22n7d68fswlw/2egjxa8hVCOqiac4OAUs2K/6d36d98734a1ddccaf4f5752e97997d2/Galas_and_SPs_2016_.pdf

Anything people want early word on, or are you more interested in Contemporary World Cinema and Masters program?

I confess a new Jim Sheridan (with Rooney Mara) looks interesting to me. 

And I'm interested in Chazzelle's follow up to Whiplash.

It's funny, as TIFF has evolved (online ticket printing this year!), I've come to realize how much I was influenced by the art work selection in the programs that used to ship with the Out of Town Packages....

Andrew   

My wife and I will be there Sept 8-15.  (I encouraged my daughter to join us - she's become a serious film fan - but she has this silly notion that missing a week of her senior year of high school would be a bad idea.)  So far, I'm most excited about the new Herzog and Chazzelle films.

Evan C   

I would love to hear about any of the following:

La La Land (Chazelle)

Queen of Katwe (Mira Nair)

Loving (Jeff Nichols)

Manchester by the Sea (Kenneth Lonergran)

American Honey (Andrea Arnold) - I can't decide if the trailer looks like a mess or a raw triumph, and reactions have been running the gamut

The Edge of Seventeen (Kelly Fremon Craig)

The Birth of a Nation (Nate Parker)

The Salesman (Asghar Farhadi)

The Handmaiden (Park Chan-wook)

Paterson (Jim Jarmusch)

Actually, those last four I'm going to see no matter what, so I'll probably hold off on reading reviews until after I see them.

Edited by Evan C

Anders   

I won't be doing as much TIFF this year, but still plan to be around for the first weekend and seeing what tickets I can pick up. Some good stuff announced, but I'm still waiting for the announcements of the MASTERS series and CONTEMPORARY WORLD CINEMA. Usually some gems to be found in there.

Darren H   

I'm credentialed and ready to go. Only problem is my wife is returning to grad school this fall, my parents will be out of town that week, and we haven't figured out yet what to do with the kids.

Must-sees so far:

• Manchester by the Sea
  • Daguerrotype
  • Elle
  • Toni Erdmann
  • Paterson

Andrew   

Based on the Film Comment write-ups on Cannes, it sounds as though Toni Erdmann was the must-see film at the fest.  I'm also hoping Serra's Death of Louis XIV will make an appearance, if for nothing else than to see Jean-Pierre Leaud in a lead role.

Darren H   

Today they announce Masters, TIFF Docs, Cinematheque, Vanguard, Midnight Madness, and Short Cuts International. So we can probably expect:

Pedro Almodóvar‘s Julieta
Olivier Assayas‘s Personal Shopper (this one might get a NYFF premiere instead)
Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s La fille inconnue
Ken Loach‘s I, Daniel Blake
Hirokazu Koreeda‘s After the Storm
Terrence Malick’s Voyage of Time (maybe?)

Edited by Darren H

Anders   
2 hours ago, Darren H said:

Today they announce Masters, TIFF Docs, Cinematheque, Vanguard, Midnight Madness, and Short Cuts International. So we can probably expect:

Pedro Almodóvar‘s Julieta
Olivier Assayas‘s Personal Shopper (this one might get a NYFF premiere instead)
Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s La fille inconnue
Ken Loach‘s I, Daniel Blake
Hirokazu Koreeda‘s After the Storm
Terrence Malick’s Voyage of Time (maybe?)

Cinematheque is doing a screening of IRMA VEP, so perhaps PERSONAL SHOPPER will be at TIFF. Hopefully. One of my most anticipated and one I'll make the trip into the city for. Of course I want to see all of the one's you listed here.

Darren H   

Anders, it looks like PERSONAL SHOPPER will be at TIFF. The "premiering at NYFF and skipping TIFF" film this year appears to be Alain Guiraudie's STAYING VERTICAL, which I'm really eager to see. All things considered, it's not a bad loss, though.

Andrew   

Wow, two Werner Herzog films will be at TIFF:  Salt and Fire (North American premiere) and Into the Inferno (world premiere).  

I will probably try to catch the James Baldwin documentary (I am Not Your Negro). Such a great figure for a documentary. I hope the film is up to capturing the complex, sad genius. 

Darren H   

The Platform program was announced today, so I now have one more must-see on my list (Bonello's Nocturama) and several more of interest. I'm not sure what TIFF is trying to accomplish, exactly, with the Platform competition. Almost half of the lineup is premiering elsewhere.

Darren H   

I've finished the first draft of my schedule. Theoretically, I'll be seeing 41 films/programs in eight days, with only a few omissions. I wasn't able to schedule Certain Women, A Quiet Passion, The Salesman, or Voyage of Time, all of which have or will get distribution. Should be fun!

Edited by Darren H

Andrew   

Here's my first draft.  The upside:  I had somehow overlooked the Studio Ghibli film that's playing at TIFF.  The downside:  only one of Herzog's films is opening while I'm in town.

Sept 8:

- Things to Come (Hansen-Love)

Sept 9:

- Toni Erdmann (Ade)

- Graduation (Mungiu)

Sept 10:

- A United Kingdom (Asante)

- The Death of Louis XIV (Serra)

Sept 11:

- A Monster Calls (Bayona)

- After the Storm (Kore-eda)

Sept 12:

- The Red Turtle (Dudok de Wit)

- Frantz (Ozon)

Sept 13:

- La La Land (Chazelle)

- Into the Inferno (Herzog)

Sept 14:

- Manchester by the Sea (Lonergan)

- B-Side (Morris)

And I may try to get into the premiere of Mascots...

Edited by Andrew

Darren H   

I'm so ready to go.

Thursday, 9/8
    ▪    Manchester by the Sea
    ▪    Personal Shopper
    ▪    Toni Erdmann
    ▪    Aquarius

Friday, 9/9
    ▪    Ember
    ▪    Nocturama
    ▪    One Sings, The Other Doesn’t
    ▪    Hermia & Helena
    ▪    Wavelengths 1
    ▪    Blind Sun

Saturday, 9/10
    ▪    Elle
    ▪    Hunting Flies
    ▪    The Rehearsal
    ▪    Irma Vep - OR - Joe Cinque’s Consolation
    ▪    Wavelengths 2
    ▪    By the Time it Gets Dark

Sunday, 9/11
    ▪    Things to Come
    ▪    The Human Surge
    ▪    Kékszakállú
    ▪    Wavelengths 3
    ▪    The Unknown Girl

Monday, 9/12
    ▪    Mimosas
    ▪    The Death of Louis XIV
    ▪    Yourself and Yours
    ▪    Mister Universo
    ▪    Wavelengths 4
    ▪    The Dreamed Path

Tuesday, 9/13
    ▪    (parts of) The Ornithologist - AND - Short Cuts 08 (Jia)
    ▪    The Woman Who Left
    ▪    I Had Nowhere to Go
    ▪    Never Ever

Wednesday, 9/14
    ▪    Paterson
    ▪    The Levelling
    ▪    Moonlight - OR - I Am Not Your Negro
    ▪    Austerlitz
    ▪    The Stairs
    ▪    The Empty Box

Thursday, 9/15
    ▪    Daguerrotype
    ▪    Ta’ang
    ▪    General Report II
    ▪    Harmonium

I'm waiting to hear back from publicist about interview(s) before setting schedule.

In the meantime, I thought I'd say that it's weird and surprising to me (thought it probably shouldn't be) how much the transition from printed program (with OOT package) to online schedule effects the way I pick films. Also, how much I'm influenced by the screenshot that accompanies the description. I should be all over a biopic of Emily Dickinson by Terence Davies yet somehow the picture of Cynthia Nixon (who is *not* a bad actress) in period garb just sort of released all the air from that anticipatory balloon.

So the Reichardt and Farhadi films were offsale when I did my ticket selection, but I'm confident I can still get one for the latter. And I left myself a couple of options for the Davies and Dardennes depending on some contingencies. 

Andrew   

Wow, tickets seemed a little harder to come by, with this year’s Flex Packs.  Here’s what I’ve got for sure, for the 8th-15th:  Things to Come (8), A Monster Calls (11), Daguerrotype (11), The Red Turtle (12), Frantz (12), Into the Inferno (13), Manchester by the Sea (14), and The B-Sides (14).  I’m still going to try for Toni Erdmann and Graduation on the 9th, Death of Louis XIV on the 10th, La La Land and/or After the Storm on the 13th.  I may try for a premiere ticket for Mascots on the 10th, just cuz it’d be fun to see the Christopher Guest ensemble.

Any matches with other A&F folks who are going this year?

Sorry to hear you had some speed bumps on selection. It's always a pleasure to see you at TIFF.

I have Monster Calls and Into the Inferno at same time, but I'm also waiting on publicist for some interview information, so I may have to do some switching.

Hope we can have a coffee or something.