Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NBooth

Riverdale

12 posts in this topic

This is a real thing.

For comparison, this is a [not neccessarily safe for work] parody thing from a few years ago:

Indiewire:

As a new school year begins, the town of Riverdale is reeling from the recent, tragic death of high school golden boy Jason Blossom — and nothing feels the same… Archie Andrews (KJ Apa) is still the all-American teen, but the summer’s events made him realize that he wants to pursue a career in music — not follow in his dad’s footsteps — despite the sudden end of his forbidden relationship with Riverdale’s young music teacher, Ms. Grundy (Sarah Habel). Which means Archie doesn’t have anyone who will mentor him — certainly not singer Josie McCoy (Ashleigh Murray), who is only focused on her band, the soon-to-be-world-famous Pussycats.

It’s all weighing heavily on Archie’s mind — as is his fractured friendship with budding writer and fellow classmate Jughead Jones (Cole Sprouse). Meanwhile, girl-next-door Betty Cooper (Lili Reinhart) is anxious to see her crush Archie after being away all summer, but she’s not quite ready to reveal her true feelings to him. And Betty’s nerves — which are hardly soothed by her overbearing mother Alice (Mädchen Amick) aren’t the only thing holding her back.

When a new student, Veronica Lodge (Camila Mendes), arrives in town from New York with her mother Hermione (Marisol Nichols), there’s an undeniable spark between her and Archie, even though Veronica doesn’t want to risk her new friendship with Betty by making a play for Archie. And then there’s Cheryl Blossom (Madelaine Petsch)… Riverdale’s Queen Bee is happy to stir up trouble amongst Archie, Betty, and Veronica, but Cheryl is keeping secrets of her own. What, exactly, is she hiding about the mysterious death of her twin brother, Jason? Riverdale may look like a quiet, sleepy town, but there are dangers in the shadows…

Link to our thread on the Archie vs. Zombies movie.

Shannon Purser (Barb from Stranger Things) is playing Big Ethel.

I don't see any way this could be good, particularly after that trailer, but it intersects with a number of my interests (small town stuff; nostalgia; murder-mystery; etc), so I'll be checking it out anyway.

Edited by NBooth

Somehow I missed this review at BMD back when it first came out.

Of course, "dark and gritty update of Archie" sounds like something of a joke premise, but there's no denying Riverdale's appeal for a certain mindset: the series was described to me as "Dawson's Creek meets Twin Peaks," and those are, no question, two of my favorite series of all time, so Riverdale is very specifically my bag. Whether it's yours, or anyone else's, remains to be seen. This show feels niche. 

The Twin Peaks influences are most compelling: in style, color, tone, score and even plot, the Riverdale pilot brings to mind the first episode of Twin Peaks with great clarity. Riverdale is a tiny, stylish community with eye-catching landmarks: The Bijou theater, MLJ comics shop (a nod to MLJ Magazines, the company that founded Archie Comics), Pop Tate's Chok’lit Shoppe, a retro diner lifted directly from the pages of the comics. Everything looks atmospheric and alluring; the colors are cool blues and greys interspersed with bright pops of color. And, in a manner deliberately reminiscent of Twin Peaks, a dead body even washes ashore in the first hour of the series. 

[snip]

There's a lot of sex in this new world, stuff that will doubtlessly earn the most controversy, ire or scorn of anything in the series. Miss Grundy (Sarah Habel) is a hot, young teacher, and she and Archie are both trying to move on from an ill-advised affair over the summer. Betty and Veronica kiss in one scene that kind of makes sense for the plot, Moose (Cody Kearsley) is a closet case getting some down-low Kevin Keller action. Betty and Archie are both introduced in shirtless scenes; Betty's on Adderall. People are going to be annoyed. As a dyed-in-the-wool lover of trashy teen television (and a legitimate childhood fan of Archie Comics!), I loved it.

Edited by NBooth

Couldn't Archie at least be a natural redhead? That dye job just looks...bad.

On 1/4/2017 at 7:24 PM, BethR said:

Couldn't Archie at least be a natural redhead? That dye job just looks...bad.

It's certainly off. I kind of assumed it was part of the fact that all the colors look a bit wrong, here (the dye job looks even worse in set pics etc).

Meanwhile, here's another short trailer.

The Twin Peaks influences are most compelling: in style, color, tone, score and even plot, the Riverdale pilot brings to mind the first episode of Twin Peaks with great clarity. Riverdale is a tiny, stylish community with eye-catching landmarks: The Bijou theater, MLJ comics shop (a nod to MLJ Magazines, the company that founded Archie Comics), Pop Tate's Chok’lit Shoppe, a retro diner lifted directly from the pages of the comics. Everything looks atmospheric and alluring; the colors are cool blues and greys interspersed with bright pops of color. And, in a manner deliberately reminiscent of Twin Peaks, a dead body even washes ashore in the first hour of the series. 

I see the Twin Peaks influence. I'm especially of reminded of it because  Mädchen Amick play's Betty's mother and the role I personally always associate her with his Shelly Johnson. In fact in the second episode, there's a scene that shifts from Betty and her mother to Veronica's mother working in a diner as a waitress in one of those retro waitress outfits.

There's a lot of sex in this new world, stuff that will doubtlessly earn the most controversy, ire or scorn of anything in the series. Miss Grundy (Sarah Habel) is a hot, young teacher, and she and Archie are both trying to move on from an ill-advised affair over the summer. Betty and Veronica kiss in one scene that kind of makes sense for the plot, Moose (Cody Kearsley) is a closet case getting some down-low Kevin Keller action. Betty and Archie are both introduced in shirtless scenes; Betty's on Adderall. People are going to be annoyed. As a dyed-in-the-wool lover of trashy teen television (and a legitimate childhood fan of Archie Comics!), I loved it.

This is true and disappointing. Unnecessary and exploitative.

I finally watched the first episode. I'm pretty sure it's not good, but I'm really loving it for its pure flashy/trashiness. It's definitely the Betty and Veronica show, though.

In some ways, though, this feels like what would happen if you took all small-town fiction in American history and boiled it for weeks before serving up the concentrate. Then again, I've been living with this stuff for a couple of years now, so everything seems hyper-referential.

Edited by NBooth

Renewed

I'm not a bit mad about that. 

I rewatched the first half of the show this weekend and I'm now comfortable saying not only that I like RIVERDALE quite a lot but that it's also quite a good show. It's bonkers, but in the best possible way. 

Given that the role I always associate Mädchen E. Amick with is Shelly Johnson on Twin Peaks, it's kind of weird now seeing her play a mother on Riverdale, another teenage mystery-drama set in a small town.

1 hour ago, winter shaker said:

Given that the role I always associate Mädchen E. Amick with is Shelly Johnson on Twin Peaks, it's kind of weird now seeing her play a mother on Riverdale, another teenage mystery-drama set in a small town.

I've been listening to the Welcome to Riverdale podcast and they're open about the fact that casting Amick was very deliberate. 

Interestingly enough, according to the showrunner, this show wasn't originally supposed to be a mystery show. It started as a coming-of-age movie (to be directed, iirc, by the guy behind The Perks of Being a Wallflower) and only turned into a murder mystery about the time they were shopping the series to Fox. Then again, the showrunner is also the brain behind Afterlife with Archieso the decision makes a certain amount of sense.