Sign in to follow this  
BethR

The Good Place

BethR   

Speaking of shows with vaguely religious/spiritual themes, The Good Place is a comedy about a not particularly "good" woman (Kristen Bell) who dies and finds herself in an afterlife identified as "the good place" where she feels somewhat uncomfortable. Ted Danson is the "angel" responsible for the clerical error. The basic assumptions of this series--that one's afterlife is based on one's deeds--are obviously not Christian, but match many other religions and general feelings, I suppose. I haven't seen it.

Writers are attempting to infuse both a continuing narrative, comparing the show to LOST.

All episodes are available for streaming via NBC.com

BethR   

Episodes 1-10 are available online at NBC.com.

I ended up watching this because--Kristin Bell & Ted Danson, mainly. I generally resist attempted representations of the afterlife on the assumption that any details we have been given in scripture are metaphorical for something more wonderful than we can imagine (and therefore "I cannot only imagine"). That said, the performances are good here, and the clash of perspectives/personalities, plus there's some pretty good discussions of ethics and morality for a 30 minute comedy. When the representatives of "the bad place" turn up (not much of a spoiler--surely that could have been predicted), there's some good natured humor based on expectations of what both heaven and hell may be like.

BethR   

Remember when we had all that discussion about comedy and how under-appreciated it is? The Good Place s1 is streaming at Amazon & Hulu. It is so much better than expected and has been renewed for season 2. The show-runner was associated with Parks & Recreation. Give it a try and be ready for s2.

BethR   

Since apparently no one watched this but me, because you're all only watching via antennae and various streaming options or something--I salute your stewardship--you can now watch season 1 on Netflix. Since each ep is only 20+ minutes, it will be a snap to binge and you will appreciate some comedy just now. I promise.

Totally missed this last fall, so I've just begun Season 1 on Netflix, and am really enjoying it so far. Very funny, while also addressing fairly deep ethical questions, which is a tough balance to maintain. It doesn't feel irreverent to me, despite not really addressing religion itself.

Andrew   

Sounds appealing, and my family and I are always looking for good comedy on our streaming services - we'll check it out!

Just finished Season 1, and I gotta say, this is both a very funny and very complex/interesting comedy. I'm still a fan of Lost--even with its muddled later seasons and finale--and the parallels to that show are certainly apt, in terms of afterlife environment and flashbacks used for character development. It's not so much about religion and spirituality as it is about ethics and philosophy, especially the significance of human action and choices. Any show that can potentially help wake people up to better consider their personal decisions and treatment of their neighbors is laudable in our present political climate.